1. Default Connecticut to Seattle, WA and back

I'm not sure the best place to post this thanks to all of you at RTA. In June of 2011 we drove from Connecticut to Seattle, WA and back. There were plenty of surprises, but thanks to suggestions from RTA forum contributors and great tools we were (mostly) ready. We blogged about the trip.

This May we plan to drive down the eastern coast from Connecticut to Floriada, so it's time to jump into the forums again. Thanks to all! David
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-08-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: new thread

Default Thanks for the kudos.

David & Gloria,

Thanks for the kudos, I hope your next adventure goes well too. Normally, we don't allow RTA "Daytrippers" to post links to their own blog posts, but I've made an exception in this case. Perhaps you could share some more tips about the trip you took in this thread?

Mark

3. Default One thing I learned driving cross country for the joy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    David & Gloria,

Thanks for the kudos, I hope your next adventure goes well too. Normally, we don't allow RTA "Daytrippers" to post links to their own blog posts, but I've made an exception in this case. Perhaps you could share some more tips about the trip you took in this thread?

Mark
    I'm glad you allowed the link. I still feel like a newcomer to both this site and long distance car trips. If I figure out how to find this thread regularly, I'll keep an eye on it and try to make some new contributions. The planned May east coast trip is on hold due to some family and business obligations,(more on that in another post) but with increasing frequency my Outback refuses to go into the garage. The current plan is to head north in the summer heat and then take a slow coastal drive to Florida in the fall.

Here is one thing I learned about car trips: know yourself. I missed out on some interesting side trips because of my compulsion to get on the road early each morning, and many activities opened around 10:00 am. A better strategy for us was to arrive in an area of interest around mid day, tour around, put on another hundred miles, and tour our secondary location in late afternoon and evening.

4. Default

Here is a question for users of your trip planning tools. I like to plan my trips in separate segments (a day or half day of travel). The planning tools offered by AAA make it pretty easy to break a trip into segments, but I had difficulty doing this in RTA's otherwise excellent trip planners. Attempts to use the help menues didn't yield an answer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?