1. Default Road trip from Madison, WI to Grand Canyon

5 friends and I are going to do a 9 day roadtrip from Madison, WI to the Grand Canyon during spring break. 5 of us can drive so we don't mind doing a long stretch of driving.

We will be stopping in Denver on our way down there.

We are wondering what are some interesting things to see along the way.

Tucson, AZ

Default Relax - Killing Yourselves is NOT Required

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Madison to the Grand Canyon and back can be driven in 6 days without trying to drive tired or get sleep while jammed 5-in-a-car (Hint: It won't work). In fact, if you want to make this trip enjoyable I highly recommend that you take several opportunities a day to get out of the car at restful and scenic stops so as to avoid the major downside of your endeavor - getting on each others' nerves. I know: you're the best of buds, but trust me, even the best of buds will get on your nerves (and you on theirs) after 9 days of enforced confinement and togetherness.

You should probably plan on spending a full day at the Canyon, but that still leaves you two full days worth of time to sprinkle at more major stops on your way down and back. Assuming a day in Denver, you might consider using the remainder of your time at places like the Field of Dreams in Dyersville IA, the Amana Colonies, sites along the Old Oregon Trail, Arches National Park, or Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. But, unfortunately, not all of them.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Even with 5 drivers, you're still looking at 3 solid days of driving each way. Remember, that while you have more people to drive, it will also take you longer at each stop, and you'll have less room in the car, so you'll likely want to stop more often.

I imagine you'd want to focus your time around the 4 corners area, which is filled with several national parks. For example, after Denver you could head over to Moab and then head down to GC via Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, etc. You could also look at places like Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

Coming back, you might try something a bit different, like following I-40/I-44/I-55 following the path of old route 66 and going through places like Albuquerque and St. Louis on your way home.