1. Default Southeast IN to Avon NC (outerbanks)

any one have a route suggestion? wanting to avoid heavy traffic but, still want to get there in a "timley" manner.

Default All roads lead to Charleston, WV?

Hello marvoll,

Depending on exactly where you're departing from in SE IN, you'll want to find your way to Charleston, WV to pick up I-64 east.

From just below Charleston, I-64 takes you into VA, through (around) Richmond, and down the peninsula to Tidewater (Williamsburg, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, etc), crossing the James River on I-664 to pick up VA 168 then NC 168 to US 158 coming out at Southern Shores, thence down the US 158 bypass to NC 12. Using Greensburg, IN as the starting point, Mapquest says this route is 823 miles.

By continuing on south on I-77 in WV where I-64 splits off, and by following I-77 into NC, you can pick up I-73/74 to US 52 to Winston-Salem, thence I-40 BUSINESS to I-40 near Kernersville, thence I-40 to I-540 between Durham and Raleigh, and finally US 64 all the way to the coast. US 64 hits the Outer Banks at the far south end of the Southern Shores/Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk/Nags Head strip. From Greensburg, Mapquest says this is 830 miles.

I'd take the immaterially longer I-77/I-40/US 64 route in a New York Minute. Both Richmond and Tidewater can be a pill, particularly Tidewater, where all of the water crossings are prone to snafus daily. Coming through Raleigh along I-40, where I live, all you need to do is avoid passing through Durham and Raleigh, with the Research Triangle Park in between, at the evening rush hour, say from around 4pm-6:30pm. Once you pick up US 64 at the eastern end of I-540, it's clear sailing all the way to Nags Head, with all but Columbia to Mann's Harbor being 4-lane and the great majority of it carrying 70 mph posted limits.

If your summertime trip would involve either arriving on or departing on either a Saturday or a Sunday, I'd take the NC route even more seriously. Both Sat and Sun are "change-over days" for the thousands and thousands of weekly rentals on the Outer Banks. The Southern Shores (northern) end of the strip gets insanely backed up with travelers leaving Duck and Corolla merging in with those leaving Southern Shores and points south, then they spend the next several hours slugging it out through Tidewater up to Richmond, or the reverse. It seems as though half the population of New Jersey is arriving and the other half departing on the same day, both Saturday and Sunday, every summer weekend. Traffic coming from or to central NC is, by comparison, very light.