1. Default Lost - which route to take cross-country??

Wow, this is a great forum, thanks for this!

I'm moving from Pasadena, CA to McLean, VA and am taking the opportunity to drive across the country w/my buddies. Problem is, we have no idea which route to take. The only thing we're sure of is that we want to hit all the great food places on the route. We don't have a significant amount of time (leaving on Sunday, April 1 and need to arrive in VA on Saturday, April 7), so we're looking for a route with nice scenery during the drive and maybe a few things we can see quickly.

From what I've seen, we can take route 66 until TN, then break it off on route 50. Or we can take a more northern route and get to the 50 quicker so that we can see CO. I'm just not sure since it's something I've never done.

Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia

Default When I read the word 'Lost'....

Hi Dan, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Getting lost is half the adventure, but time consuming. And you sound like you won't have much time to waste. First thing you might like to do is get some good maps or a road atlas. AAA is a good source, and if you are not already a member, it may pay to become one before the trip. Cheap insurance for peace of mind. You never know when you may need them.

You might consider taking I-15 to I-70, probably the most scenic of all the interstates. A short side trip and a most scenic one would be to take 191 to Moab, and 128 back to I-70. Moab is a great place to spend a night. Before you get to Grand Junction there is Colorado NM, which would make another worthwhile detour off the interstate.

US50 is a great road, but considerably slower than the interstates.

Southern California

Lifey had a good suggestion, and the first one that I thought of. Along I-15, the Virgin River Canyon (after Las Vegas but before you hit the Utah border) is gorgeous. Then I-70 has Escalante Canyon, access to Moab and Arches NP, then western Colorado is beautiful! Kansas is rolling, though in April the wheat won't be as golden nor will there be much else like corn. In Missouri you have similar, though beware that the Interstate between Kansas City and St Louis is among the busiest traffic corridors in the US. Then there's Pennsylvania.

Another thought could be I-15 up to I-40 (at Barstow). In places it doesn't seem as scenic, but it has its points. It might be a little more direct to McLean VA, as you would get off I-40 to head there.

We took a good deal of both routes last summer, when we headed for the East Coast. So both routes have their points!