1. Default Roadtrip from Los Angeles to Miami summer 2012

We are planning a roadtrip this summer involving these citys; from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, New Orleans, Pensacola, Orlando and finally Miami...

We have 21 days to do it all. We were thinking something like this;
    3 days LA, 3 days Vegas, 1 day Grand Canyon, then mostly driving to New Orleans were we spend a day.
    5 days in Orlando (We have 3 kids age 9-12)
    2 days in Miami

Any suggestions from Grand Canyon to New Orleans?

Any experience in having 5 in a room, we will go from hotel to hotel...

Joplin MO

You may have a hard time finding hotels that allow 5 in a room, due to local fire codes. You will need to do some research ahead of time.

3. Default

I called a best western hotel. They charge for the rom not for the people in it.. i suppose its ok to stay five in a rom with to twin beds..

South of England.

Default Might want to check.

As you have young Kids they may provide a roll away type bed for the extra occupant, but just because they charge per room and not per person does not mean that the number of people staying in the room can exceed the number it is designed to cater for. There are rules and regs including their fire and safety certificates to consider.

I would consider not travelling to far from the GC and at least spend the next morning there to see this natural wonder. Other than that 1 day all your time seems to be spent in the City. Perhaps after GC you could consider looking at Monument Valley and around the Four corners, [Possibly Mesa Verde] or head south of I40 through Roswell [for an 'Out of this world experience'] and perhaps Carlsbad Caverns and then on through San Antonio.

5. Default

What part of the GC would you recommend? North rim / South rim , lodging, hotels.?

Tucson, AZ

Default For All Practical Purposes

You really only have one choice for the Grand Canyon, and that is the South Rim. The North Rim is wonderful in its own way, but is quite a bit out of the way (one of the things that's great about it) and accessible only by a single two-lane state highway. The South Rim is much easier to get to, and does not require that you double back dozens and dozens of miles. You would simply drive north from Williams to the Canyon, drive along the rim for about 25 miles (plenty of opportunities to pull off into parking areas and take pictures) and then continue to Cameron and then back south to I-40 at Flagstaff. Tusayan is the closest you can stay to the Canyon - it's just south of the south entrance - but rooms can be a bit pricey for just that reason. You'll find much more affordable, and almost as convenient, rooms in either Williams or Flagstaff.