Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Road Trip from Boston, MA to WA.

I will be traveling from Boston to Seattle, WA this summer with three kids ranging from 4-11. I will also be towing a camper and would like any suggestions on "Must See" stops along the way. I am thinking about Mount Rushmore, Hershey, PA, A cave or two in addition to any unique eating establishments (no food chains). I would like to eat family style food. I am a anti-McDonalds kind of a family.

Thanks.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

"Must Sees" are far to much of an individual thing for us to offer much generic advice without knowing what might be interesting an a "must see" for you. in addition, having some idea about your timeframe and if this is a round trip would be very helpful.

Having said that, based on what you've said, I'd certainly strongly recommend you take a look at Wind and/or Jewel Caves in the Black Hills. The Badlands and Yellowstone are two more National Parks you should take a look at. And one idea for Family Style food along your route would be Paul Bunyan's in the Wisconsin Dells - and while you're there, I would take a look at Noah's Ark or Mt. Olympus Waterparks.

Default The Eastern section.

As Michael stated, knowing the details of this trip would help. However, I travel the eastern section quite often, to St Paul MN.

I particularly enjoy I-88 to Binghampton. This is one of the interstates which is both scenic, and a pleasure to drive. After the MassPike, I always find it a welcome change.

Then there is US6 through northern Pennsylvania... not so much a route, as a destination in itself. You will find a wealth of attractions along this route. Some of my favourites are the Kinzua Bridge State Park, Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania definitely worth some time to take one of the many hikes into the canyon and through the surrounding forest. All would be suitable for the average four year old. And the Kinzua Dam near Warren.

If you are into scenic routes, you might like to follow the Allegheni River from Warren, through Oil City to I-80. A wonderfully scenic drive with many places to stop and explore.

Lifey

4. Default

Thanks, for the reply. I am in the military and will be moving from Japan to WA; however, I have to fly to Dallas to pick up my truck and then drive to Boston to pick up my guns before heading out west. It has been three years since I have been home so lots of seeing family and then driving west. I have three kids that moving is always hard so I was hoping to make the drive fun and educational. I traveled via Class C camper when I was 15 and still remember the trip. I would like to make a memory like that with my kids. I figure I will have about two weeks to drive from Boston to WA. I want to hit some caves, mount Rushmore, some old western forts etc.. Just anything that will make the trip memorable. After being in Japan for three years I am sure the kids will have reverse cultural shock living in the states again. Thanks for all your comments!

I 2nd the drives Lifey has given you. It's great on hw6 but also slow driving. From Oil City we went to Amish Country Ohio (Berlin area) worth a visit also.
    If you like caves you can visit Wind Cave or Jewell Cave when you are in the Black Hills SD area (mnt. Rushmore). On your way to Seattle a visit to Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP is a must of course.
    Our route from Boston went via Berkshires (Mohawk Trail), Catskill and Binghampton. Not sure the kids are interested but in Corning NY is a fabulous Glass Museum.

6. Default

I think your kids would love Hersheypark at their ages. In addition the amusement park, there's the Chocolate World tour (which is free!) Going on rt 6 would be out of the way if you went to Hershey, but I think Hershey would be more interesting to the kids. The drive from Harrisburg to rt 80 is nicely scenic, and you'd also go by several state parks (including Cook Forest, Black Moshannon, and Clear Creek), all of which have lakes or rivers and hiking areas and would be nice places to enjoy a break.

7. Default

Mayelli, I agree. Hershey park is worth it. I have stayed there three times before I left for Japan. I have to drive from Dallas to Boston before heading to WA. I plan on staying at Hershey before Boston. To be honest, I found Hershey because I hate the New Jersey Turn Pike. One of the ways to by-New Jersey was to hit PA and bang, Hershey was right there :) Thanks!

8. Default South Dakota Trip

I will be spending five nights in SD this summer. I plan on staying and or seeing the following sites: Badlands, Wind or Jewel Cave, Mont Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood and then Devi's Tower, Wy. I will be driving from East to West. I am looking for the best camp grounds for a family with young children. I am thinking about the National Park Campground at the Badlands, and possible Deadwood, KOA. Does any other suggestions on places to stay or eat?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-25-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

Default Custer

One place you left off your list that I would strongly consider adding, both as a destination and a camping spot is Custer State Park. The park is as nice as many national parks, and your kids will most certainly enjoy the wildlife loop (especially where the burros walk right up to your car).

One thing to note for the badlands np campgrounds is that there are no campfires allowed. I wasn't real impressed with the main campground right near the east entrance, as it seems pretty crowded. The Sage Creek primitive campground, while it has no services, was more to my liking and its in a corner of the park not as many people visit. The place I actually camped during my last trip to the badlands was the Badlands Ranch Resort, which is actually located on the Indian Reservation not far from the park. I found their rates to be very reasonable and the staff to be extremely helpful.

Default While you are in the area.....

You might also like to check out the Center of the Nation, at Belle Fourche. The actual centre is about 20 miles north of the town, where there is a marker and the flag flying. It is on a farmer's land, with easy access from the road. (There are little hooks on the fence to help you get through it.) At the visitor centre, which is not really the Center of the Nation, they have made a monument. When I was there, the lady at the visitor centre seemed most surprised that most folk who come through prefer to go to the actual spot which marks it.

Lifey