1. Default NY to NOLA (NY,NJ,DE,MD,NC,SC,GA,FL,AL,MS,LA) returning (LA,MS,GA,TN,VA)

Starting a trip NYC to NOLA - March 8th - March 18th.
    Any advice on where to stop , what to see and where to it?

DAY 1 March 8th

7:00am - 11:00 NYC to Cape May, NJ
    Visiting: Physick Estate- Jackson Street-Lighthouse

2:30pm-4:30pm Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE FERRY

5:00pm - 6:00pm Lewes, DE to Ocean City, MD
    Visiting: Boardwalk
    Staying overnight at Ocean City

DAY 2 March 9th

4AM-3:00pm Ocean City, MD to Wilmington, NC with short stop in Washington, NC
    Visiting: Cotton Exchange - Battleship- Chandlers Wharf
    Staying overnight at Wilmington

DAY 3 March 10th

4:00am - 8:00am Wilmington, NC to Charleston, SC
    Visiting: Rainbow Row - Battery and White Gardens

11:00am - 2:00pm Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA
    Visiting: River Street - City Market

4:00pm - 7:00pm Savannah, GA to Jacksonville, FL

9:00pm - 10:00pm Jacksonville, FL to St. Augustin, FL
    Staying 2 nights at Super 8 at the beach

DAY 4 March 11th

St. Augustin, FL
    Visiting: Castillo de San Marcos- Mill Tavern, Alligator Farm

DAY 5 March 12th

St. Augustine, FL
    Visiting: Old village-Spanish Quarter

8:00pm - 7:00am St.Augustine to Pensacola, FL (sleeping in the car)

DAY 6 March 13th

Pensacola, FL
    Visiting: Naval Air Station-Historic Village-Seville District

12:01pm - 1:00pm Pensacola, FL to Spanish Fort, AL
    Visiting: Bass Pro Shop.

3:00pm - 4:00pm Spanish fort, AL to Biloxi, MS
    Visiting: Visitors Center

5:00pm - 7:00pm Biloxi, MS to New Orleans, LA
    Visiting: Royal Street- Acme Oyster House

Staying overnight at Frenchman Hotel

DAY 7 March 14th

New Orleans, LA
    Visiting: Warehouse district, Magazine Street, French Market- Steamboat Natchez

7:00pm - 8:00am NOLA to Helen, GA (sleeping in the car)
    Eating at Hofers of Helen

DAY 8 March 15th

10:00am - 12:30pm Helen, GA to Chattanooga, TN

3:00pm- 6:00pm Chattanooga, TN to Pigeon Forge, TN
    Staying for 2 nights in Pigeon Forge

DAY 9 March 16

Pigeon Forge, TN and Gatlinburg, TN
    Visiting: Horse riding in Gatlinburg - Shooting Range - Titanic Museum - Hatfield $ McCoy Dinner Show

DAY 10 March 17th

4:00am - 12:00am Pigeon Forge, TN to Monterey, VA
    Visiting: Maple Festival

5:00pm-1:00AM Monterey to Manhattan, NY

Any suggestions?

Tucson, AZ

Default The Obvious Problems

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I am always more than a little leery of plans that are overly precise, because they necessarily assume that everything will go like clockwork - no traffic, no construction, no delays of any kind - and real life just doesn't work like that. A few other red flags: hitting the road at 4:00 am and being on the road until 10:00 pm, necessarily means that you're planning on getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night, as do the notations "sleep in car". In addition, besides not being the most comfortable or restful spot to get any real sleep, 'overnighting' in your car is illegal in most places. Planning on sleeping in the car while it magically(?) covers 400 miles is just beyond the pale. I just don't see this plan working, or being any fun even if it does.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I can tell you right off the bat that when you are planning your trip hour by hour, you are really setting yourself up for disaster. Things will take longer than your expect and/or won't go as expected. For example, you've listed a handful of places where you plan to stop at visitors centers, and typically the reason you stop at such places is that they are great places to learn about the local area. But if you are only giving yourself an hour there, then that's not going to give you time to actually explore the places you'll be learning about.

I'll also say that having multiple days where you plan to be on the move from 4am until midnight or worse is also very worrisome. Your final day especially of trying to drive 700 miles plus have time for stops is problematic to say the least, and your plan to drive 400 miles through the night across North Florida while you are sleeping is a very bad idea! I assume you mean that you will have one person sleeping while the other is driving, but that really is still not a good idea. The bad idea factor is multipled when you essentially plan not to ever stop for sleep, yet have full day of exploration, and continue driving all the way to New Orleans without ever having gotten any real rest.

I'd make a priority of changing those ideas before you do anything else.

Edit: Clearly Buck and I of are the same mindset, as we basically were typing the same thing at the same time.

Default Have you ever driven US 13/17 down the Delmarva Peninsula and across NC and SC?

Hello VORONOY,

I've lived on the East Coast for all of my 56 years and have traveled the whole of your route from Maryland to Charleston, SC. I find your assumptions as to travel times through dozens of small towns, several sizable cities, and through hundreds of stoplights, and if any of the outbound trip is on a school day, you're liable to be slowed by dozens of school buses each day, to be overly optimistic at best and absurd at worst. As was said above, even if it's marginally do-able, I can scarcely imagine a trip being less fun. Eastern NC and SC are fairly densely populated, and blasting through as you suggest just isn't going to happen. You're going to be in 55 mph zones most of the time, with dozens of 45 and 35 mph intervals.

And a "drive by" to Monterey, VA from I-81 at mid-day, and on to Manhattan after that? On a day which starts at Pigeon Forge, TN? Really? Have you ever run I-81 through the Great Valley, or through Harrisburg, PA?

Here in NC, we say "Be careful what you ask for; you may get it". You asked for suggestions. I suggest you re-think your entire trip. You probably need to lose the whole idea of hopscotching along the coast if your departure from and return to NYC are set in stone.

Best of luck,