Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fairfax to Florida - 3 Days

Hi! I'm from England and me and my family are planning to do a Road Trip from Fairfax, Virginia to Daytona, Florida. We have set 3 days for out road trip and I hope to stop the second night at the Hilton Head, SC.

We have been told that the Skyline Drive is a nice scenic route to drive along, has anyone got any tips on what route to take, places to stay or places to visit?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Some Ideas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are three basic ways (and infinite variations thereon) to get from the DC area to Daytona. The most straightforward (and in my opinion, least interesting) is to simply follow the tried ad true motorway, I-95 all the way. The other two are described in some detail here. The Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are quite scenic, but quite slow with 35-40 mph speed limits and limited passing opportunities. So, while they are certainly within your range and time constraints, I would caution against planning to spend too long on them. If you leave Fairfax on I-66 west to the northern end of the Skyline Drive at Front Royal and then take that road down to Waynsboro, I think that would be quite sufficient to give you a great memory without taking up too much of your time, From there, you can take either US-29 to Greensboro NC and then I-73/US-220/US-1/US-52 to rejoin I-95 at Florence SC, or you can use I-64 east to the coast by way of Charlottesville (and Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello), and Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown before using US-58 to return to I-95. As I said, there are lots of possibilities. Do you have any general or specific items on your 'To Do' list/

AZBuck

Thanks AZ, this is very useful! Basically, we would like a place to stop on perhaps the first two days (on the third I think we'll stop in St. Augustine, FL) as a rest for the driver, and to do something that day of interest. Would you say there is more to do taking the I-64 rather than going down the I-73?

This is info is really helpful thanks!

Default Personally

I would do the drive over to Front Royal, down the Skyline Parkway, over to the Historic Triangle in the Virginia Tidewater, and then down the coast. But that's because my interests lean to the historic and scenic. How you should go depends on your interests. That's the real beauty of RoadTrips, you can tailor them explicitly to your own tastes. If you still want to be in Hilton Head at the end of the second day, then I'd take a very leisurely first day and spend the night in the Virginia Tidewater to let me have as much time there as possible, and then do a solid day of driving the second day down I-95 to Hilton Head to spend the evening there. But if you are now planning on foregoing a stop at Hilton Head and just want to get to St. Augustine by the end of the third day, then I'd take those two days between the Norfolk area and St. Augustine and take a more relaxed approach to the drive south by first heading over to the Outer Banks and making stops at Kitty Hawk and Fort Raleigh National Historic Site before continuing down Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands to take the ferry from Ocracoke over to Cedar Island (reservations strongly recommended). I'd then finish up by taking US-17 as my basic route south, stopping to take a walking tour around Charleston's historic and scenic waterfront. My overnight would then be somewhere between Cedar Island and Wilmington in North Carolina depending on what kind of progress i had made during the second day.

AZBuck

Thanks for all the tips AZ, turns out I got my maths wrong, and we have 4 days for our road trip. So far the plan is as follows: Fairfax, down the Skyline Drive to Richmond and stop there for the first night. On the second day perhaps do Williamsburg, Virginia Beach and Kitty Hawk and then find somewhere to stay? Third day is driving down to Hilton Head, and then finishing up in Florida on the 4th.

Where would you recommend stopping on the second night, between Williamsburg and Hilton Head?

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Where to Stop

That would depend largely on how you choose to get from Manteo to Hilton Head. If you were to just head over to I-95 and drive straight through, you could get to Hilton Head in a fairly easy days's drive. If you were to hug the coast on I-17, you'd spend the bulk of your two days on the road working your way through beach towns and port cities. That would still leave some time to see a few things, but not enough to really experience the jewels of that trip, The Outer Banks, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and Charleston.

I'd recommend something of a compromise by first continuing all the way down the Outer Banks to Ocracoke and taking the ferry to Cedar Island, then heading inland on US-70 to NC-41 south and follow that all the way to Elizabethtown where I'd spend the night. The next day, continue on NC-41 to SC-41 and finally US-17 south of Andrews SC. If you feel you have time, head into Charleston for a walk around the old waterfront, or a carriage ride through downtown. Otherwise take Alt-US-17 around the outskirts and continue on to Hilton Head.

The way I've suggested would give you a large part of one day on the barrier islands of the Outer banks and a couple of ferry rides, while the second day would be mostly a relaxing drive on some 'back roads' through the South that I think you'd enjoy.

AZBuck

Thanks again, I think we'll skip out Ocracoke as it adds too much to the driving time. would you recommend staying in Fayetteville at all?

Default That's Halfway...

..via I-95, and will offer you a wide selection of both restaurants and motels. However, it is basically a military town that accommodates nearby Fort Bragg.

AZBuck

Fayetteville? I think I'd drive another 25 miles south and stay in Lumberton.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, really has made this a doddle for me! Can anyone suggest a good site to plot the route? I tried zippermaps but that doesn't seem to be working!

Joe