1. Default Eight Days in April 2012

Thanks everyone for all the advice on the thread started by DramaQueen, as it has helped with planning my own trip.

I hope you have wonderful vacation Dramaqueen and maybe our paths will cross on the road...

This is my trip itinerary and I am hoping to gain some insight on must sees and also some recommendations on what hotels to stay at along the way:

Trip planned for first week in April 2012

Day 1 SLC to Reno 7 hour drive
    Day 2 Reno to Monterey 5.5 hour drive
    Day 3 Monterey we plan on taking the Pebble beach drive, aquarium, cannery row etc.
    Day 4 Monterey along HWY 1 to Hearst Castle area 2 hour drive
    Day 5 Hearst Castle to Yosemite 5 hour drive
    Day 6 Yosemite to Sequoia 3 hour drive
    Day 7 Sequoia to Death Valley 7 hours
    Day 8 Death Valley to SLC 8 hours...

if feeling worn out we may extend vacation another day for the ride back....although there is not much to see or stay at...we have been to Vegas many times already and are instead coming back through Tonopah as my husband grew up in the area and I thought it would be a fun side trip to take back.

I know many will say that Yosemite would require a longer stay, but since it is winter conditions still, I am thinking a day trip will suffice?
    We have done some ambitious trips in the past...last year we stayed in hotels and managed to see Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley on a 3 night trip and then again went to Arches, Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell while pulling a trailer on a 7 night trip.
    Again any advice is appreciated as I have never traveled this part of the country.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-26-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: created new thread for Saltygirl's trip

Default Make good use of that 'possible' extra day.

Hi Saltygirl, welcome to RTA !

Firstly, some of your travel times are unrealistic, but each leg can be achieved in a single day, it's just that you are not likely to have as much time as you think at the 'other end'. Day 1 is a fine example where you would need to run at 75mph all the way from SLC to Reno without having to stop for fuel, food or even the bathroom.

Ambitious yes, doable yes, pretty rushed yes, but you know that already. I think it would be slightly more efficient to head to Yosemite after Reno and then to the coast and back to Sequoia.

...if feeling worn out we may extend vacation another day for the ride back....
    Instead of wearing yourselves out and considering an extra day for the ride back, why not simply use that day in the middle of your trip [Yosemite/Sequoia] and take a little time to 'smell the roses'. Much more rewarding !!

3. Default Thanks for the advice.

I am considering now cutting out Death Valley, staying one more day at Yosemite and just driving back through Reno again. When I started planning, Death Valley wasn't even on the list but I read here that it was highly recommended and thought it would be nice to have a day of really warm weather.

You are right Reno to SLC may take more around 8 hours but we are not planning on taking in much once we get there, just using it as a place to sleep.

I would like to just plan it as we go and see how we feel, should I worry though about not being able to get hotel rooms the day of?

I agree stopping to smell the roses is the best way and I hope to do that one day as it is my wish to retire and become a fulltimer, but until then I have to feed my travel bug and lots of driving and taking in is as much as I can of what this world has to offer is how I roll, LOL.

Again, thanks for the advice and I didn't mean to hijack dramaqueen's thread...I was actually worried that I would get in trouble for starting a thread regarding a trip "that has been discussed many times before" ; )

Default A Thousand Times or the First Time -- Every Road Trip is Unique

Quote Originally Posted by Saltygirl View Post
    I would like to just plan it as we go and see how we feel, should I worry though about not being able to get hotel rooms the day of?
    I prefer not to make reservations and see what I can find when I'm out there. There are certain caveats about room availability -- but a trip in April should be fine.
    .I was actually worried that I would get in trouble for starting a thread regarding a trip "that has been discussed many times before" ; )
    Even if you drove the same route every day for 100 years, each road trip would be a unique experience -- different weather, different point of view, etc which is why we generally keep different trips from each member in their own thread.

Mark