1. Default Phoenix to Tombstone to Sedona/Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas to LA

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on this forum and I would really appreciate some advice. We want to complete the itinerary above in about a week. What are some points of interest that we should see along the way? We're most interested in "old west" kind of attractions, ghost towns, or off the beaten path excursions, but also want to see the main points of interest too! Is this trip also feasible in a week? I would really appreciate any suggestions or tips. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default More than You Can Shake a Stick At

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The truth is that you're going to be traveling through one of the hearts of the Old West (There are more than one.) and there are more than enough attractions and venues to remind you of that. As you head down to Tombstone, you might want to visit a set of three sites just west of Tucson through Gates Pass. These are Saguaro National Park (West), the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (more of a zoo than a museum), and Old Tucson (a former and current movie set with reenactments, stage coach rides, etc.). Then south of Benson there's Kartchner Caverns, and just a bit farther southwest of Tombstone are both Chiricahua National Monument and Fort Bowie National Historic Site. I'd then recommend that you use some 'back roads' to get up to the Sedona area in order to get the feel of the Southwest a bit better than you can from the Interstates. US-191/US-70 up to Globe and then AZ-188 northwest past Roosevelt Lake and Tonto National Monument to Payson, another town with an Old West heritage, including Zane Grey's cabin. You could then either head directly for Sedona by way of Camp Verde and AZ-179, or take a slight detour west on AZ-169 to Prescott Tuzigoot National Monument, and Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Absolutely continue on AZ-89-A up through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff (Museum of Northern Arizona, Lowell Observatory, Walnut Canyon National Monument) and the Grand Canyon. On your way to Vegas, leave I-40 at Seligman and use the longest remaining stretch of what was Route 66 through Peach Springs to Kingman, and on the way to L.A. take the time to visit Mojave National Preserve.