1. Default RV Trip to Canada

I know this is Roadtrip America, but I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice/tips on roadtrips in Canada, or more precisely British Columbia.

Have got about 2.5 weeks, flying in and out of Vancouver. Want to see the Rockies, Lake Louise, Jasper, but also would like to go to Vancouver Island and take the Inside Passage from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Anyone done it ? Any advice ? Recommendations ?

Tucson, AZ

Default Very Ambitious

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That is a lot of ground to cover. Since you're going to be flying into Vancouver, you'll have to rent the RV there and return it there, so the thing to do is to make this a loop trip, taking in Vancouver Island and the Inland Passage to Prince Rupert, then driving over the Coast Mountains by way of Smithers and Prince George to the Rockies and Jasper/Banff before returning to Vancouver by way of the Trans Canada, BC-1. I haven't done the northern reaches of that loop, but I can offer some suggestions for southern Vancouver Island, and the Rockies. Around Victoria, there's the Natural History Museum, the Government buildings, and the Fairmont - all around a very pedestrian friendly waterfront. A bit north of town is the world class Butchart Gardens. And on the way north the town of Duncan has an excellent First Nations cultural center. Farther north along the Strait of Georgia are several towns famous for their salmon fisheries, but you would need ot look into exactly when they are running and what sorts of permits or licenses are required.

As you are working your way through the National Parks of the Rockies, I'd really make an effort to take one of the 'busses' out onto the Columbia Icefield as such natural treasures may simply disappear in the not too distant future. And don't overlook some of the lesser known but still spectacular National Parks on your route including Yoho, Glacier, and Mount Revelstoke,

Melbourne, Australia

Default Sea to Sky Highway

An alternative route through scenic BC, as well as a spectacular drive would be to take the Sea to Sky Highway (99) from Vancouver to Cache Ck, and then scenic 97 through Williams Lake, all the way to Prince George. There are small provincial parks along this route, though I did not have time to check out many of them. (I don't recall anything particularly memorable between Prince Rupert and Prince George.)

The Sea to Sky Highway will take you through the lovely small towns of Squamish and Whistler (scene of the winter Olympics), among others, as well as Garibaldi Provincial Park, where it is a short walk/climb to the falls. Further up is Lilooet. I have great memories of Lilooet. Stayed in a campground there, a government campground which I think was at a hydro site - or something like that. Rustic, but restful and full of nature. The sort of place you just want to linger.

A little further up from Lilooet is a sign to glacier lakes. There are two or three lakes, one above the other. The hike around the lakes takes you to the glacier which feeds them. But even if you can't do the walk all the way round, it is a spectacular view to just walk up to this emerald green glacial lake.

The Sea to Sky Highway is full of surprises, the ones mentioned were the only ones I had time to stop at, but there is much more. It would be a shame to miss out on it, especially since the spectacular part of the inside passage does not really start till well north of Prince Rupert.

Route 16 out of Prince George to Jasper is a lovely drive, especially those last 60 or 70 miles and over Yellowhead Pass. Make sure you leave some time to pull off and savour it.

And allow plenty of time for the Icefields Parkway. It may only be about 250 kms (or thereabouts) from Jasper to Lake Louise, but there is so much to see along the way, so many side tracks to falls and other scenic beauty you won't want to miss, that it really deserves all the time you have. Athabasca Falls are spectacular in spring.

And BTW, Canada is part of North America. It is a lovely corner of the world.