1. Default Chicago to Sarasota road trip advice

Planning a road trip from Chicago to Sarasota in late March. Need a little advice from those who have done it as to the best route to take. There seems to be little difference in miles between taking
    I-65/I-75 vs. I-57/I-24--any preferences from those who have taken these routes? Live in the south suburbs so either one is just as convenient to get to. Other than the pretty consistent congestion in NW Indiana any things that should be taken into consideration--anyone have any knowledge of any significant construction along the way. Planning to leave on a Friday afternoon and hope to get to Sarasota late Saturday. Any help greatly appreciated..

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have relatives in the Tampa area, and I've driven both routes, and there isn't a great deal of difference between the two.

The bigger issue is that trying to leave on a Friday afternoon and arrive Saturday is a very bad idea. Its a 1300 mile trip and even if you leave first thing on Friday, that's a very serious trek for 2 day. Throw in the fact that trying to leave Chicago on a Friday afternoon is never fun with traffic, and you're really going to be putting yourself in a bad situation.

In addition to those two options to Nashville, you've also got the choice of taking I-75 through Atlanta or I-65/US-231 through Alabama. Personally, I tend to take one set of routes one way, and another set of routes the other. There are also lots of interesting things that can make good stopping points along each route, but it doesn't sound like you'll have time for any significant stops.

Joplin MO

I hate to say it, but if you can't allow 2 or more FULL driving days each way, you may be better off flying and renting a car when you get there. It sounds like all you want to do is get there and back, so why beat yourself and your vehicle up?