Default Minneapolis to NYC Sept 2012

Hey everyone, first post.

I will be travelling from Minneapolis back to NY in Sept. Ill be taking Rt 80 to Chicago on the way out (for a wedding), but Im looking for a different route home. Im considering heading north, and going through southern Canada, and maybe come back into NY at Niagara Falls. Any opinions? Its more for sightseeing, and just not wanting to take the same way twice more than anything. Two days or so is what Im looking for.

Welcome aboard RTA!

If it were me, I'd get a paper map or atlas and see if anything along other routes jumps out. Another thought -- to get back into the US from Canada these days, you need a passport. Of course, if you start now, you should be able to get your passport before you travel (if you don't already have one).

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome aboard RTA!

If it were me, I'd get a paper map or atlas and see if anything along other routes jumps out. Another thought -- to get back into the US from Canada these days, you need a passport. Of course, if you start now, you should be able to get your passport before you travel (if you don't already have one).

Donna
    Thats a good idea, thanks. Ill probably head to Barnes and Noble this week to grab some maps.

I already have a passport for myself, my wife, and my son, we have a daughter due in late April, so Ill definitely have to remember to file the paperwork ASAP.

Actually, if you're under 16 you don't need a passport, just bringing the Birth Certificate will work for the little one.

Canada is a bit of a detour from NYC, but certainly something you can do if you have enough time. Are you just thinking of cutting across from Niagara to Detroit or are you thinking of going up all the way over the top of Lake Huron via Sault Ste Marie?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Actually, if you're under 16 you don't need a passport, just bringing the Birth Certificate will work for the little one.

Canada is a bit of a detour from NYC, but certainly something you can do if you have enough time. Are you just thinking of cutting across from Niagara to Detroit or are you thinking of going up all the way over the top of Lake Huron via Sault Ste Marie?
    That part I havent really decided yet....it depends more on how much time my wife gets off from work, lol. If we can manage going up and over Huron by Sault Ste Marie, and then stay in Canada over towards Toronto, I'd like to do that. The other option is heading north from Minneapolis, up over Superior, and then to Sault Ste Marie from there (really long route), and then either taking the Canada route, or heading south from there through Michigan.

Default A nice change, going through Canada.

It is five years ago now, since I did that trip through Canada, from Toronto to Sault Ste Marie, and onto St Paul MN. It is a lovely trip, and a welcome change from I-90 and I-80. I drove it in two days, staying overnight in SSM. But I would have loved to have had more time to do some real sightseeing. If you plan on doing it with a baby, you will probably need more than two days, considering the needs of little ones.

If you are looking at two days all the way to NYC, that's not going to work.

I am yet to do the trip from St Paul directly North, and through Canada around Lake Superior. But that is quite a bit longer.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    It is five years ago now, since I did that trip through Canada, from Toronto to Sault Ste Marie, and onto St Paul MN. It is a lovely trip, and a welcome change from I-90 and I-80. I drove it in two days, staying overnight in SSM. But I would have loved to have had more time to do some real sightseeing. If you plan on doing it with a baby, you will probably need more than two days, considering the needs of little ones.

If you are looking at two days all the way to NYC, that's not going to work.

I am yet to do the trip from St Paul directly North, and through Canada around Lake Superior. But that is quite a bit longer.

Lifey

If we have the time, Im probably shooting for two nights on the road, and will plan enough time for a third if we have to. To be honest, thats all Im really looking for, just a change from I-80 and I-90, lol. Im not looking for any specifics really just yet, just trying to find others who have done it, to get their opinions, basic routes, that sort of thing. Thanks for the help so far, glad I have found this forum.

With just 3 days - and even if you can add a 4th - I don't think I would recommend going over the top of Lake Superior. Just going via Sault Ste Marie is a 1500 mile trip, and much of it is on 2 lane roads with 55mph/90kph speed limits. That's a very full trip already, without much time for extra stops.

Going via Thunder Bay would add a few hundred more miles, and really would be pushing it even with 4 days.

If you can add a 4th day, I think you'd be much better off using that time to spend a little time exploring places like Pictured Rocks, Georgian Bay, and Niagara Falls.