Default FYI I-80 in Wyoming

Hey - I thought I'd share this b/c I haven't seen anyone post about it.

If you're going to be traveling through WY (I don't know if it's just winter/early spring or year round), check the WY DOT road closures website due to high winds. I experienced getting stuck in Wyoming last March, and in plotting out another drive to the NW, see that the interstate was closed last night, and closed tonight, too. In some places, it wouldn't be much of an issue, but they close it from Cheyenne to Rawlins (150 miles) and there aren't many other roads that exist to get around that. When I studied the map last year, I went to the front desk last of the hotel where I got stuck, I asked the guy there about a route--turned out, it was a dirt road.

If you haven't been through that area of the US, keep this in mind.

Thanks for posting!

This is an issue that we do discuss here from time to time. That's a very windy stretch, subject to blizzards, whiteouts, and black ice. I went across there in early January, and thankfully the weather was dry. The wind was blowing me all over the road and I drive a full size pickup truck.

Right now, it's essentially closed from Rock Springs to Cheyenne due to winter conditions. I-25 is also closed from Cheyenne to Wheatland.

If you are heading to the PNW, consider I-90 instead.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its always a good idea to be checking on road conditions no matter which way you are going.

I-80 in Wyoming is one of many areas that can close in a bad storm. Its rare for it to be just because of wind though. Typically - as is the case today - its high winds along slick roads and blowing snow that have made for white out conditions.

I'd also say that if the conditions are so bad that they've closed the interstates that trying to find an alternate route through the area is a recipe for a disaster. If roads are so bad that the main highways are impassable, secondary roads are going to be even worse - and that's how you end up like the handful of people every year who are stranded for days - or even die - because they've gotten stuck in a remote road in the middle of nowhere.

Just as importantly, they chose the locations to close the highway based on lodging availability as well as weather. For example, today I-80 East is closed at Rock Springs rather than Rawlins, specifically because there are no available rooms in Rawlins. If you try to continue on, you're likely going to end up stranded with no place to stay.

Last year, it was strictly due to high winds - upwards of 50mph, no snow on the ground or in the air, roads were completely clean. My point was that when you live in populated areas, you have the common sense to check road conditions when you plan a trip or start out for the day, but that doesn't mean conditions remain the same. If you don't KNOW that that stretch of road closes somewhat frequently because of something other than snow, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise. I left Salt Lake City earlier that day, with everything clear, only to get a 2 mile warning just west of Rawlins that the interstate was closed. While I respect safety, it is just frustrating when you have rough plan for what distance you need to cover -- in that case, I needed to get about 200 miles farther east THAT day b/c I had to get home the following night in IL as I had company arriving the next day after that.

I was closing in on 6 weeks on the road around the Western half of the US, and to that point either had great weather or was able to work around less than good conditions by take a different route. Another point to my post is - if you haven't been to or through Southern Wyoming, keep in mind, you really don't have options outside of the interstate. You can know in your head that a place is sparsely populated but not truly understand it until you see it. (I live in Central IL, and though it's got its own type of sparseness, you still have the grid of country roads every mile.)
    Last edited by traveller0112; 02-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.

I was putting information out there to add to the other information here. I may go back to lurking.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-28-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: fix the conituity

Default Lurkers always welcome, posters are divine

Traveller012,

We always appreciate new member advice -- thanks for the contributions!

How long have you been a lurker?

Mark

Default There are lots of ranches and small towns out there!

Quote Originally Posted by traveller0112 View Post
    Another point to my post is - if you haven't been to or through Southern Wyoming, keep in mind, you really don't have options outside of the interstate. You can know in your head that a place is sparsely populated but not truly understand it until you see it. (I live in Central IL, and though it's got its own type of sparseness, you still have the grid of country roads every mile.)
    I know southern Wyoming pretty well -- when the Interstates close I can usually get through on the county roads -- but I'd never recommend that practice unless you've driven those roads a dozen or more times in good weather!

Mark