lacysims Guest

Default Road trip from Texas to Grand Canyon

So I am trying to plan our family vacation for this summer. We usually stick around in Texas and this year I want to get out and do a road trip, its gonna be fun however I don't know where to start. We have 9 days to travel there and back which isn't a lot of time but I want to make the most of it. I would like to stop in Carlsbad to see the caverns and possibly stop in Roswell just for the heck of it. I want to take a scenic route if at all possible at some point in the trip, I want this not only to be fun for us but I would like for the kids to see some real history not just read it out of a textbook. I have been looking and searching around and I found this website so hopefully this will all work out. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-21-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Moved After-the-Fact editing, see below.

Tucson, AZ

Default Somewhat Depends

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As most Texans I know are forever pointing out, Texas is a big place, and the pace of your journey will somewhat depend on where, exactly, you're starting from, But even in the worst case of starting from around Beaumont, you could do the driving portion in about 5 days leaving you 4 days of out-of-the-car sightseeing spread over your entire trip. It gets better, of course, the farther west you start from.

In general, you should be looking at a loop trip that (described clockwise) heads first to Carlsbad, then by way of Tombstone, Tucson, Phoenix, Sedona and Oak Creek Valley to the Grand Canyon, then east by way of the Petrified Forest past Albuquerque, down to Roswell and home. As noted, some of the details will depend on where 'home' is and there are certainly many more attractions along that general route that can be included depending on the interests of you and your traveling companions. Just let us know.