1. Default Albany NY to Sedona AZ in May

need advice, i have a 99 subaru forester, rebuilt engine last year. need to drive from ny to az in may, and want to also tow a small 4x8 uhaul trailer, kinda scared.. some people said its ok, and some told me ide ruin my car... please help....also plan on only driving 8-10 hours a day...

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Towing is hard on a car, and you clearly already have some miles on yours. However, the Forester is built to tow small loads (up to 2000 lbs), so you can at least consider it as an option. Keep in mind, the trailer itself is already about 1000 lbs, so you will have to be careful about how much stuff you bring.

That said, I'd at least think about how much stuff you need to bring, and if it might not be cheaper or easier to ship it to your destination.

You're looking at a 2500 mile trip, so that's at least 5 days, but factoring the slower speed you'll need to travel because of the trailer, its quite possible you'd want a 6th day.

Southern California

Michael's reply is exactly what crossed my mind. If you don't already have a hitch on your Forester, too, you'll have to factor in the price of the hitch and its installation.

It is definitely a 6 day trip if towing a U-Haul trailer. You must go slower or risk accident!

If affordable, you could also rent a small truck and tow your car instead. My husband says "4 wheels up!" to tow, but I'd get another opinion on that one.

Joplin MO

A Forester can handle a 4x8 U-Haul no problem. Keep it down to 55 mph.