Thread: grand canyon

Default grand canyon

I could use some advice about visiting the grand canyon in a short amount of time. Ill be spending one nite in flagstaff and the next in freedonia. On my mapping software it looks like the amount of time to go to either rim would be about the same. Is this really true? At which rim could i see the most in that amount of time? I dont need to do alot of activities at the canyon but Id like to experince the view.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The south rim is going to be much more easily accessible and ultimate easier for you to enjoy quickly. The south rim would mean less driving and you'd also be able to take in view points on east rim drive as you leave the Canyon Village area, while the north rim.

Admittedly, your question is a bit like asking which cut of meat at a world famous steakhouse can you eat the fastest, as there are a lot of other differences between the two rims, and either are better enjoyed when you can actually savor them, but I think the south rim would be best based on your specific question.

Default Depends....

As Michael says, the South Rim is probably your best choice... depending on when this visit will take place. If it is a weekend during the main holiday season, or, heaven forbid, a holiday weekend, the South Rim may not be your best choice. At those times you will find that the North Rim is far less crowded, parking more available and the view points and sights - just as spectacular, if not more so - easier accessible. If this is a midweek visit, or a weekend outside of the busiest season, the South Rim would be your best choice.

Lifey

Going on a friday before school is out for the year. Does that effect the reccomendation? How do the distances and driving times between viewpoints differ at the north and south rims? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1975 View Post
    Going on a friday before school is out for the year. Does that effect the reccomendation?
    No! See above.

How do the distances and driving times between viewpoints differ at the north and south rims? thanks.
    Here you can check all of that.

Lifey

I did already read much of the nps grand canyon website.I diddnt see anything about speed limits etc on it so I wasnt sure practically how long it takes to drive around each side of the park and how that compares. Is there a spot on the site where it explains that?

Default 20 mph is a good rule of thumb

Speed limits through most parks are 25 mph -- in a few places it can be as high as 45, but with traffic and animals on the roads, you need to expect to average about 20 mph.
    how long it takes to drive around each side of the park and how that compares.
    Are you referring to the North and South Rims as the sides? There is no direct route that crosses the Grand Canyon -- so it can take about a day to travel from the south rim to the north rim -- if you're going to stop and enjoy the viewpoints.

yes by sides i meant the rims. like how much time it would take to see a few viewpoints on the north rim compared to the south rim? on maps it looks like the viewpoints might be closer together in the south then in the north but id like to know from someone who has actually been to both how they compare once you are in the park.

Default Very different!

... but id like to know from someone who has actually been to both how they compare once you are in the park.
    For me the main difference between the two was... at the South Rim you tend to walk or take the shuttle to most of the viewpoint - except for Desert View Drive. At the North Rim you drive to all of them. As to which takes more time... I guess that depends on how far you walk (hike) and how long you stand there, and just wonder in awe.

Lifey

Default Heads or Tails !

If you have 1 day between Flagstaff and Fredonia and want to visit the GC same day, it is less time driving to go via the South rim. Not by much, but when you haven't much time the extra time spent at the rim could be invaluable. One other advantage of the south rim is you can enter by the south kiosk, go to the village area and then exit out of the east kiosk on 64 [Desert view drive] taking in some more of the easy to access viewpoints along the way.

The big plus for the North rim is that it might be better suited to staying and watching the sunset !! Not a lot of help really, but there is no right or wrong answer I'm sorry to say.