1. Default Southern Fun 6-7 weeks

Hi im sarah from Australia, so im plannin a cross country trip for next august, i know its a long way off but there is so much to organise. At the moment im thinking a few days in New York City then start from New Jersey and travel down through tennesse to new orleans, across texas, round the grand canyon, up to vegas, then sand diego to san fran. Ive got between 6 and 7 weeks. Im hoping this will be enough time. So im just after any advice on things to see and do, things i should no before undertaking a huge road trip and just any advice really. Thanks

Default For starters.

Hi Sarah, Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

That's a great trip you are planning, and it looks like you have all the time in the world to see whatever you want. So where to start.

Firstly you should get yourself a good wall-sized map of the US. My preference is for the National Geographics map, for all the detail it has. Mark the places you have already in mind. I had my map laminated, as you tend to change your destinations and routes many times during planning stages. You will find that these maps are available at Map World in most capital cities, or online.

Use mapping programs such as the RTA map centre (on the green bar above) to zoom in and get details of any places along the way, which might interest you.

The other thing you need to note is that there is normally a significant fee for one way drops of rental vehicles. It often is cheaper to do a loop trip. And with your time frame, you would have time for a loop taking the southern route, through New Orleans and Texas etc. and return via a more northern route, taking in the spectacular places in Utah and Colorado, and maybe through Chicago back to New York. You certainly have the time to do this at your leisure, spending multiple days in some places for funtimes.

Are you flying direct from Oz? And if so, why are you flying into NYC? Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just strikes me as unusual.

Lifey in Melbourne

3. Default

already have a huge map, but the laminating idea is awesome, will definately do that! Thanks

yeh flyin from Aus, but am meetin a friend from london in NY thats y starting there :)

thanks Sarah

Default You drew the short straw?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBurns1987 View Post
    ... but am meeting a friend from London in NY, that's why starting there :)
    If you'd both flown into LAX/SFO, the duration of the flights would have been approximately the same.

Lifey

Welcome aboard!

As for things to see and do -- Lifey suggested the mapping center, and looking around this wonderful site. You could also just Google things like "New Orleans tourist information" and come up with more information that way. Otherwise, it's difficult for us to make suggestions because we don't know much about you and your friend, and what would appeal to you two. Be sure that you both confer a lot so there's something on the trip for each of you individually, as well as together.

Donna

6. Default

thanks, I just checked out the mapping centre and its excellant :)

We are planning on driving around 300 miles per day, with some days longer, some shorter. Do u think this is an ok goal amount per day, with sight seeing???

Default A good pace.

Sarah, 300 miles a day will put you in the car for between five and six hours a day... and yes, it will give you time out of the car to do other things.... and make for a leisurely trip. There may be days when you do much more... balanced by days when you drive hardly at all.

Lifey

8. Default

thanks

Sarah

9. Default

so if we want to drive through mainly small towns and avoid the major highways. wat roads should we be lookin at? are they called byways??? also looking at the road maps do the different letters mean wat type of road they are like I-60

Sorry this is probably a really silly question, but just looking at my large map and trying to make sense of which roads i wanna be on

Default Wait till you get there.

Sarah, does your map have a key? That will usually answer such questions.

From what I know, all the I's are Interstates, and normally marked as such, with the numbers on blue shield signs. The ones which have US before the number, (I think) are what were the highways before the Eisenhower Interstate system was in place. The roads with the State name, such as CA, NV, TX etc., are State roads.

On all the maps I have, the scenic routes are marked with a dotted line along them.

If I were you, I would not worry too much, at this stage, about the exact road on which to travel, so long as you know that there are roads going to the attractions you want to see... and the distances. Just figure that if you are taking minor highways and biways you will be travelling slower than on interstates.

Are you a member of your local automobile association, such as RACV or NRMA? If you are, take your membership card with you. This will give you access to all tourist information and free maps from the AAA. On your arrival in NY, pick up maps of all the States through which you plan to travel. These will show the scenic routes and the highways in much more detail than you have now, and have more information than most digital maps. It is also a good idea to get a detailed map of all major urban centres you plan to visit. Makes getting around and deciding where to go, so much easier. From what I can see, there are two offices of AAA in Manhattan - one on Broadway and another on 73rd Street.

The other thing you can do, since this trip is not until August, is get a Rand McNally Road Atlas. These have all the information the maps have. If you order one now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. A great help with the planning. I normally get both, and highlight my route in the atlas, which I then keep as a souvenir of the trip. Great when sharing your trip with family and friends later. And when reading this forum, just to see where places are.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 02-26-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: more info