Default Vegas to LA via Grand Canyon, Phoenix, ?????

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Las Vegas to LA in June, we have 15 days and would like some advice on 'must see' places and best route. My Name is Dave and I am 62 and Jeannette is 53 and we are from Manchester England, have never driven in America so advice and tips will be much appreciated.

South of England.

Hi Dave, welcome to the RTA forums !

Once you have looked around the forums and other planning resources in the tool bars above for ideas, you will become familiar with seeing "We don't do 'must Sees' or 'best routes', as each road trip is a unique and individual affair based on your interests and goals for the trip. One man's dream is another mans idea of a nightmare ! lol

The Southwest region is one of the most popular subjects on the forums and you will pick up loads of ideas just looking around. To get you started take a look at the links in this thread, it contains some of our favourites.

You certainly have a nice amount of time to get around and places that I would enjoy of which you could work some of into a nice loop would be Grand canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce canyon, Zion, Death valley, Yosemite, Sequoia, San Francisco and the scenic California coast around Big Sur/ Cambria. You might prefer LA, San Diego, Phoenix and the like and you can certainly mix it up a bit, between nature and City, to match your tastes and decide at what pace you want to travel at. Some folk like to move through quickly where others prefer longer stays in fewer places.

Get yourself a good map and do a little research and when you have some dots on the map we can help join them up and make suggestions

Enjoy the planning !!

[Another] Dave. [From England]

I advise starting out in Phoenix. Spend the night and then heard north To Sedona, AZ. Sedona is beautiful and easily one of the most scenic town in America. From Sedona head Northeast to Monument Valley, which is in the Northeast corner of Arizona right on the Utah Border. MV is spectacular and definitely worth the trip. Spend a night or two in the town of Kayenta, then head west to Page, Arizona and Lake Powell. You will want to spend at least two nights at Page and check out the variety of natural wonders including Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, and a lake cruise that will take you to Rainbow Bridge, an amazing natural stone bridge. From Page, head back down south to the Grand Canyon. Spend a night or so at the Canyon and then head further south to Flagstaff Arizona, a really neat western town with lots of cools shops and restaurants. From Flagstaff it's about 4.5 hours to Vegas. You can follow a portion of the original Route 66 and stop off at another spectacular view of the Grand Canyon called Grand Canyon West. You'll also go right over Hoover Dam on your way into Vegas. Once in Vegas, stay and play for a while then take the 4 hour drive west through the desert to LA. IF you have time remaining you will definitely want to drive the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) north to San Francisco which is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastal highway in the world. This is the exact trip I did last summer. Any questions let me know...