1. Default New York to Miami in 9 days!

Hi, myself a friend are coming from the UK in July and will be having 4 days in NYC, then a night or 2 in Atlantic City and then will be hiring a car to drive to Miami after which we are flying to Vegas for 11 nights. We like to party, play golf, beech time and relax (were possible) was hoping to maybe see some of the blue ridge parkway or something similar and also we would like to spend a night at least in Florida Keys.
    Does anyone have any ideas for routes or places to stop, all ideas welcome.

Is this all too much in 9 nights? Especially doing the Blue Ridge as the speed limit is so low? Was thinking about Atlanta as ive heard its good for nightlife but i think this may be too far out of the way. If we didnt do the parkway i was considering myrtle beech as the golf seems good and i guess the nightlife would be ok?

All ideas welcome..

Cheers

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I think this may be a bit much in the amount of time you have. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles long and is indeed a more relaxed pace of driving, with speed limits from 25 to 45 miles per hour. I wouldn't consider it a party destination.

Perhaps Ocean City Maryland would be more along the lines of what you enjoy? It is quite the active place in the summer, along with beach activities and many places to both party and relax.

3. Default Road Trip

Thanks for ideas, looks like our scene...reason we wanted to drive some of the park way was to see some mountains and bit of nature on our days of partying :) if we drive down the coast route to miami are there any national parks on route you would recommend, or any particular scenic routes.
    i assume its easy enough to drive from atlantic city, ocean city then on to virginia beach possibly and then myrtle beach..finally heading to south florida? in nine days ...
    is virginia beach worth a stop?

Default Scenic Routes

Quote Originally Posted by simmoaj View Post
    ... are there any national parks on route you would recommend, or any particular scenic routes.

... is Virginia Beach worth a stop?
    In New Jersey, drive down the coast road from Atlantic City to Cape May, a slower and very interesting route. At Cape May there is a ferry to Lewes Then the coast road, route 1, to Ocean City, through Delaware Seashore State Park.

Through Virginia, route 13 takes you down the penninsula and over and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel, with a stop at fisherman's pier. Whether Virginia Beach is 'worth it', is very much a personal choice. We all have different interpretations of 'worth it'.

Through North Carolina there is the Outerbanks (route 12) through Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Even though this is not a high speed route and involves another ferry ride, it is nowhere near as slow as the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Some years ago I took this route from Atlantic City to Key West, and can highly recommend it. However, since nightlife is not my thing, I cannot comment on that.

Lifey

5. Default Road Trip

Thanks for info, all looks good. how would we get onto route 12 which seems to be able to get us to Myrtle Beach from Virginia Beach? Can you drive through False Cape State Park?

Default Good paper maps.

... How would we get onto route 12 which seems to be able to get us to Myrtle Beach from Virginia Beach?
    This is the sort of information you get from good paper maps. If you have not already got some, or a good road atlas, then that might be a something to get. You are going to need them out on the road. Electronics are great to find accommodation or zoom in on a particular place. But to rely solely on a GPS can not only end up sending you onto a route you may not want, but can also be deadly, and in several cases has been.

The best sources of good maps I know of are AAA - free if you are a member - and Rand McNally, but I know there are others. There is nothing like a good map to give you an overview of your trip and all the options available.

Can you drive through False Cape State Park?
    Not sure where this is... I was not able to locate it on my map. But if there is a road through it, it will be on the map.

Lifey