Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What kinda vehicle will you choose for this Summer Roadtrip --

What kinda vehicle will you choose for this Summer Roadtrip and what type of trip do you plan?

Default Question??

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Your question strikes me as somewhat odd. The philosophy of RTA is very much a philosophy of individual tastes. This goes for vehicles, as it does for destinations and routes and attractions. There are probably as many different vehicles in which roadtrips are taken, as there are different routes and destinations to which roadtrippers travel and the attractions at which they stop along the way.

Lifey
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.

3. Default

Honda CR-V, older body style!

good gas mileage
    great storage
    Reliability of hon
    Roof Rack
    real time 4 wheel drive
    Lot's of visability (car is all windows)
    all Cr-v's have a picnic table that comes stock inside the truck
    Fits a an air mattress inside the cabin
    all chairs fold down completely till its almost 100% flat- good for sleeping if necessary

Default Sportsmobile all the way!

This is a frequent theme on this site. For many of us, the vehicle is nearly as important as the route or the destination.

(photo courtesy of Sportsmobile)

Here's what my first choice for a summer road trip vehicle would be... (not that I own one or even have a chance of purchasing one in this lifetime...)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    This is a frequent theme on this site. For many of us, the vehicle is nearly as important as the route or the destination.

(photo courtesy of Sportsmobile)

Here's what my first choice for a summer road trip vehicle would be... (not that I own one or even have a chance of purchasing one in this lifetime...)

Mark
    Gee, Mark, you can have almost the same thing with my F350 diesel 4WD, camper shell, surplus Army cot in the bed, a can of Sterno, and a 5-gallon spackle bucket. Almost.

Definitely more affordable.

Those Sportsmobiles are awesome, aren't they?

Over the last 35 years, I've become accustomed to a full-sized 4WD pickup truck so that's what I own and what I prefer to run on any RoadTrip. I can carry the Complete Technology of Western Man, spare parts, food, shelter, and of course toys.

Foy

Default One of them ^^^

Behind one of these ! vvvv

Well a Jeep anyhow. [In my dreams]

But next time I get Stateside, it'll almost certainly be another trip in the RV !!

[Can't wait]

Hmmm....we've traveled in many kinds of vehicles:

Subaru -- 4 door sedan -- trunk and backseat LOADED, luggage carrier on top LOADED. We were tent camping back then.

Ford Aerostar -- loaded in the backseat and storage area, kids in car seats in the middle seat, us in the front seats. Tent camping then too.

Pontiac TransSport, towing a tent trailer -- now THAT was fun, since setting up camp was a lot easier, we slept on real beds high up off the ground.

Ford F350 (diesel) towing a 27' 5W trailer -- the ultimate. Loved this. Made many miles in that vehicle: a trip from San Diego to Mt Rainier and points surrounding, trip to Missouri and returning through Colorado, trip up the Alaska Highway AND return the same way (didn't want to take the ferry; long story why not), which was about the final trip in that vehicle. (From then on, the 5W got used for weekend jaunts locally only.)

Various sedans to/from Missouri, and a Pontiac Grand Prix to NJ and return this past summer.

Our next trip will probably be in our "new" (to us) Ford pickup with a camper shell. We're going to put some foam rubber in the camper shell, pack some of our old tent camping cookware, and do a combo trip (driving, staying sometimes in a motel, sometimes with family and sometimes camping out in the camper). This is partly a push on my part to get hubby to at least THINK about buying a real truck camper (like a Lance) for the truck!

What's the ultimate???? I think I still love RV'ing -- whether it be a travel trailer or either truck camper or motorhome, I LOVE having my own bed, my own cooking facilities, and my own bathroom along with me!

Donna

Default Your mileage may vary...

For weekend jaunts, gotta be the Little Blue Pill:

Photo: Don Casey - Birthday weekend up to Avenue of the Giants

For longer excursions: The Beast (Ford Expedition):

Photo: Don Casey - Two weeks in Oregon

I'm deffo an SUV fan for road trips. Love the space, and elevated driving position compared to a normal sedan. Plus, you never know when the 4WD might come in handy.

The problem for me is the types of cars in this class seem to be hugely different in the US compared to the UK. Range Rovers don't seem to be popular in the US from looking at the rental sites, and we don't have many of the cars mentioned on the web in the UK.

Default Range Rovers are PRIVATE cars

Range Rovers are very popular here, but way too valuable to include in a rental fleet. The numbers that are shipped here (due to custom restrictions, make it all but impossible to rent one here).

Mark