1. Default 2 Girls from the East Coast wanting to go West!

I have spent some time researching around this amazing website and it has just left me even more confused then when I started. My friend and I are in our late 20's and want to see as much of the US as we possibly can in 2 weeks. I am thinking that we would be better off flying from NH (where we live) out to Vegas and then continuing to head west. We want to see the Grand Canyon, San Fran, wine country and possibly Seattle if there was enough time. Would people recommend us flying into Vegas and doing this, or driving from NH and trying to fit in as little as possible, while trying to see as much as possible? Any help you can give us would be great!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With just 2 weeks available, and assuming you have to get back home at the end of it, then flying really is the only way you'll be able to see what you want to.

It would be a full 2 weeks to drive to the west coast and back without really having any time for exploring.

Even with 2 weeks, getting up to Seattle would probably mean doing a one way trip from Vegas to Seattle, which means higher airfare and car rental costs. Driving that whole loop wouldn't be impossible, but I suspect even that would be quite rushed with your time constraints.

South of England.

Default Good thinking !

I am thinking that we would be better off flying from NH (where we live) out to Vegas
    Way to go !

I agree with Michael, flying out west really is the best option and there is just so much to see and do nearer to Vegas than Seattle, I just don't think it would be worth the extra miles heading so far north given your time constraints.

Some of the amazing places you could visit in a loop from Vegas would include, Grand canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Antelope canyon, Bryce canyon, Zion NP, Death valley, Yosemite NP, San Fran, Napa, [wine country] Big Sur [scenic coast Highway] and so on. With 2 weeks you will only just scratch the surface, but could make it a memorable trip.

Once you have unravelled your thoughts a little and got some dots on the map we can help piece it together and help you to get the best from your trip.

4. Default

Thank you for all of the information. So would you recommend us flying into Vegas or San Fran? I am just trying to see what would be our best option and give us the most opportunity to see everything that we can. We are planning on driving home from out West and try and hit some places on our way home as well. How many days do you think it will take us to drive from out west back to NH? Obviously we would try and hit some places on our way home as well but I just want to know how many days I need to try and figure into the drive home, given that we only have 2 weeks for this whole vacation.

Green County, Wisconsin

As I mentioned, you're looking at basically a week just to drive from coast to coast before you start to think about sightseeing.

If you want to see California, then I'd think that flying into San Francisco or LA would make more sense than starting in Vegas.

However, keep in mind with the one way drop fee for a coast to coast rental, you're looking at a pretty major extra expense for your car rental - not to mention that 1 way airfare is typically more expensive.