1. Default March road trip - advice please (new to forum)

This is our itinerary so far
    Have I made any glaring errors in judgement?
    Can you suggest any other areas of interest en route?
    Not sure where to stay between Grand Canyon and Yosemite - appreciate this is our longest drive and will need to stop-over
    We are staying in Las Vegas for 4 nights as meeting people so this is not adaptable.

Thanks in advance

15th March Fly into LAX (onward flight to LV)

Las Vegas Hotel booked for 4 nights
    16th Las Vegas

17th Las Vegas

18th Las Vegas Pick up car

19th Early drive to Grand Canyon (via Hoover dam) – accom. booked in park

20th Drive to ? Bakersfield (8hours – 515 miles) XXXXXX ? where to stay en route

21st Yosemite accom. booked

22nd Yosemite (during day) XXXXXX? stay overnight or somewhere on way to San Fran

23rd San Fran (196 miles – 4 hours) - accom booked

24th San Fran - Alcatraz night tour - accom. booked

25th San Fran - accom. booked

26th Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur ?

27th Cambria /Santa Barbara ?

28th LA

29th Flight to LHR

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA forum!

i think you've done a nice job of coming up with a reasonable plan with the time you've got available.

There are things you could add like a section of Route 66 between Vegas and the Grand Canyon and/or Sequoia between Bakersfield and Yosemite, but you don't have a lot of extra time.

The one thing I would suggest is that you not make reservations for Bakersfield day. Its a full day to get there from the Grand Canyon, and I'd keep the flexibility so you don't feel rushed to leave the Canyon first thing in the morning. Even if you only make it to Barstow or Kingman, you still should have time to get to Yosemite the next day.

The day after Yosemite, I'd look at a place either just outside the park like Mariposa, or perhaps a bit farther out like Merced if you want to save a little money on hotels. If you've got it in the budget, its hard to go wrong with another night right in the Yosemite Valley.

3. Default

Thanks Midwest Michael - feel reassured.
    I did think about 2nd night at Yosemite - do you think I should book now or do you think for that time of year I will have no problems booking (have booked Yosemite View Lodge for 1 night) any other suggestions for accommodation welcome?

Also looking for accommodation suggestions for the coastal drive but again as not sure what we will find interesting en route want to leave this open.

South of England.

Default Nice !!

It could be that you are OK in Yosemite in March, but if you are happy to stay at the lodge another night, and I too would highly recommend it, then you may as well book it imo.

Along the coast there are towns with many lodging options and the option of leaving it open to change is a good one. You could check out a few lodging options that appeal to your tastes and budget and make a note of names and Telephone numbers prior to leaving.

Have you checked out Hearst Castle near San Simeon ? It might not be your 'thing' but it is a very popular attraction, where you can also book tours in advance.

5. Default

Hi - just in from work - thanks for the replies - will look at options for Hearst castle (from UK so not sure if this is a "castle" in our use of the word but will research