Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default grand canyon to san diego with or without stop at palm springs

hi,
    so basically the question is if palm springs is worth a night to stay.
    if so i was kinda thinking of heading to twentynine palms coming from the grand canyon and drive through joshua tree np, doable and worth the drivethrough?

tia!
    Marc

2. Default LA to SFO

hi,
    what is the nicest place to stay sleep in between LA and SFO?
    i have already planned a stay in monterey and was about to drive the big sur coast line...
    but i'm unsure as where to stay inbetween

tia!
    Marc

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-05-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

Default one

Welcome to the RTA Forum1

It will really be much more helpful if you post the details of your entire trip, rather than just asking about piecemeal sections. Its very hard for others to give helpful details, when they are only looking at a small portion of your overall trip.

As far as whether Palm Springs is "worth it," that's really something only you can decide. It is a popular stop, and its very rare when someone doesn't enjoy a national park, and that's certainly true with Joshua Tree. Of course, "worth it" also involves balancing stops with your overall time, and that is good example of not being able to give you much help when knowing so few details.

For a second stop along the coast, I'd say the Cambria/Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo areas would be worth a look, but again, the context of your overall trip is going to be a big factor in getting the right answer for you.

4. Default

thx for the quick reply!
    now the trip goes as follows:
    SFO-yosemite-death valley-las vegas-bryce canyon-salt lake city-yellowstone-jackson hole-vernal-moab-monument valley-grandcanyon -(as of now) palm springs-san diego-LA -santa maria-monterey-sfo

so palm springs is a bit of a question, and depends on driving through joshua tree np
    problem is that i can't seem to be able to map the route in mappoint through joshua tree and so i can't determine if it is doable
    thx!

Default Good area to break the journey..

You do not mention how much time in total you have for your trip either, but an overnight stop between GC and San Diego would make for a more relaxed pace and a visit to Joshua tree NP would fit in nicely. If you don't want to leave GC to early then Twentynine Palms would be another option and then drive through Joshua tree next day on the way to SD.

If you have the time I would recommend a night at Zion NP [Springdale]on route to Bryce Canyon.

6. Default

sorry for the late reply, in total 24 days, with 2 nights at start, 2 nights at yellowstone, 2 nights at vegas, 2 nights at grandcanyon, 2 nights at LA.
    so the rest has to fit in...
    zion doesn't ring a bell, why the recommandation ? :)

thx!

Zion's recommended because its a pretty amazing National Park. Most people considering going to Bryce also look at Zion, and certainly if possible try to do both.

You've got a very busy trip as it is. Especially when you consider most days you're going to have several hours of driving between your destinations. The other thing I'd recommend is that you give yourself an "off-day" in your plans where you don't feel like you have to do anything and/or you can get caught up if you discover that you need to spend more time in some places (ie, I think you'll want at least one more day at Yellowstone, and the same could very well be true for Moab). Palm Springs may be a good places for that, as you can pencil it in, but decide to skip it if you could simply keep going to San Diego. However, I might also think about skipping SD too and instead head straight for LA.

Default An amazing NP.

zion doesn't ring a bell, why the recommandation ? :)
    Well you will be driving right by there on the way to Bryce Canyon, not to mention the fact that it is a wonderful National Park and the relaxing walk between the huge canyon walls along the Virgin River is a particular favourite of mine. Much to do and see here.

The only reason I can think of why not to, is purely down to time. Although your trip is doable, I wonder if you are underestimating just how much you are taking on, it's a big place is the USA !

To get lodgings in the NP's would mean planning ahead and booking asap as they are extremely popular, especially in the summer months !!

sorry for the late reply, in total 24 days, with 2 nights at start, 2 nights at yellowstone, 2 nights at vegas, 2 nights at grandcanyon, 2 nights at LA.
    so the rest has to fit in...
    Yikes ! Allowing for travel time and fitting in with your criteria, I would be looking at 2 days in SF > 2 Yosemite [second night in Bishop area]> 2 in Vegas [via Death valley] > 2 Bryce [via Zion ?] > 1 SLC > 4 Yellowstone/Tetons/Jackson > 1 Vernal > 2 Moab >2 GC via Monument valley > 1 Joshua Tree > 1 San Diego > 2 LA > 2 coast.

That's pretty crammed with the drives in between, but hopefully will give you a base to work from. Maybe slow it up a little and consider giving Joshua tree and San Diego a miss and head direct to LA. [?]

Edit] A lot like Michael posted while I was still typing and creating a timeline.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-10-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: To avoid sounding like a Parrot !!

9. Default

yes i googled a bit and it seems pretty nice.
    the trip is packed i realise that but to please everyone one has to make compromises.
    i wouldn't mind skipping SD but my wife wants to see the orka's (so i hope the orka's appreciate it :) )
    i calculated the off-day at the end, so i made the coast line the last part since i guess that would result in some more relaxed pace.
    but i was planning on making all hotel reservations ahead, so i can't really move things around as they come...
    i'm considering staying 2 nights at moab to and drive through monument valley instead of sleeping there...
    too mucht to see and too little time :)

10. Default

thx Dave,
    i'll take it into consideration
    i know it's a lot of miles
    and most part the distances planned now are not that long (except for yellowstone)
    we want to see as much as possible and it's not that easy to find the tradeoff :)
    (my kids for example want to visit raging waters, a day i would have spend on something totally different :) )