Default Foreign Exchange

Can someone please tell me what the exchange rate is, at present, between the US$ and the Canadian$? And has it been relatively constant, or has it been volatile?

I'm trying to work out whether I will get more bucks for my money getting Canadian$ before I leave home, or wait till I go to Canada.

Lifey
    Heading for the Horizon

Default Try here.

I use this site to keep an eye on things and to decide when a good time might be to buy.

Dave

Default Handy resource.

Thanks Dave. Yeah! that looks like a good site. Must keep it in my favs.

Looks like the two are about parity... and stand the same against the Oz$, so probably no point in getting any here. Mind you, I still have some from my last trip. And lots and lots of US$. LOL

Lifey
    Heading for the Horizon

Yeah, its been stable. Its been sitting right around the $1=$1 mark for the past few years, so I wouldn't expect it to change much.

Of course for those of us who were used to going to Canada about 10 years ago, when US$1=CAN$1.50 or more, its made traveling north of the border seem very expensive these days.

Not only more expensive in the exchange rate, but also the fact that one must have a passport, makes it even more expensive! (Not all Americans have a passport, if one doesn't travel out of the country.)

Donna

Default Entertaining and educational.

Yes that site has 'earnt' me a good few dollars in the past. On our first trip with plenty of time before travelling, I bought dollars each time the pound v dollar peaked. I estimated that I gained an extra $300 spending money between the 4 of us compared to the rate when we travelled. Every little helps !

Had I not 'earned' anything, I still enjoyed the 'game' and actually learnt a little. [But not a lot !!] lol.

At present the AUD is as strong as it has been against the USD, since last September, and looks as though it might have 'peaked' again. [?] [Don't take my word for it though ! lol

Dave.

Default Me's thinkin'.... time to change some more cash.

Yeah! I was thinking of going to the airport tomorrow, and exchanging a little more. (Though I am very happy with the $ for $ I got with the bulk of my money.) There is a set amount you can exchange without having to pay commission or tax. I have a few pennies saved, so will get as many of them exchanged as possible, without any of it going into charges.

There is a local bus which stops right near where I live, and goes to the airport. It only runs about every hour or so. But by the time I walk from the bus stop to the international terminal, exchange the cash, and while I am there get my seat allocation for my trip, and have a few other questions answered, walk back to the bus stop... it will be a couple of hours. (I'll make sure I take a good book.)

Lifey

Edit: maybe I should have done it today, tomorrow morning there is expected to be an announcement to lower the interest rate by either 25 or 50 basis points. Arrgh!!