Default Road trip from Dallas to Miami in July/August 2012

Hi,

We are currently planning a road trip between Dallas/Ft Worth and Miami in a hire car
    Expected duration to be approx 3 weeks and we will do it in July/Aug
    The route we are thinking about is Dallas to Memphis to New Orleans to Atlanta and then to Miami
    Can anyone assist us with our planning including what to see, how long to stay and what not to see!

Regards Gerry

I'm a little confused - is this part of the SF to NY trip you previously asked about?

No matter the answer, just like was mentioned several times in that last thread, without having some ideas from you about what you are interested it, no one else is really going to be able to tell you what to see or how long to see it.

Default Road trip from Dallas to Miami in Aug/Sept 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'm a little confused - is this part of the SF to NY trip you previously asked about?

No matter the answer, just like was mentioned several times in that last thread, without having some ideas from you about what you are interested it, no one else is really going to be able to tell you what to see or how long to see it.
    Hi Michael.......thanks for your note and for being direct. Sorry for the confusion.
    You are correct, we were planning the trip from SF to NYC, but things have now changed (yet again) as far as our travel plans to get to the USA. Latest plans (today) indicate that we will arrive in Dallas and we will be picking up a cruise in Fort Lauderdale on 5th Oct. This means that we will be doing the Dallas - Miami trip in Sept.
    We would like to be able to see a little of the south and include a trip to Memphis (my wife, Sandra, is an Elvis tragic). We have approx 21 days so are not going to rush things (I think!)
    Apart from the above, we do not have any other specific things that are a MUST SEE......we would be guided by others and would like an adventure.
    If you or others can help guide is that would be terrific
    Best wishes
    Gerry

Default Adventures around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Groom View Post
    ... and would like an adventure.
    If you or others can help guide us that would be terrific.
    Hi Gerry, For an adventure I can think of nothing better than to hit the road, and when you see an interesting sign or finger indicator, follow it. Who knows where it may lead you, or upon what gems you may stumble. Those are the best adventures of all.

If you have good maps and / or a good road atlas, such as a Rand McNally, you will find that many attractions are already marked on the maps, as are scenic routes, forests and parks, battlefields and historic sites. There are so many surprises when one tours around on the minor highways.

Gee, even just taking one scenic route after another makes for a great adventure through small town America. And when you then speak with the locals, they will tell you what they value locally, attractions which never really make it into the guides or onto the internet.

With this trip not taking place for months, and if you have not already done so, I urge you to get a road atlas or maps of the individual States, and look closely at the area through which you will be travelling.

On my first visit, more than a decade ago, I stopped in this tiny place for a cuppa, and they had a local gallery at the back of the coffee shop. It was amazing to see all this local craft and art selling for a pittance. And when I mentioned it to others later, no one had ever heard of it.

Lifey

Default Road trip - Dallas to Miami

Hi Lifey
    Thanks for your note and advice.
    I ordered the Rand McNally Atlas today and will take your advice and start planning with it as a guide.
    Great .......and thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-19-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

Default ... and for maps.

Gerry, Make sure you take your NRMA membership with you. Through the reciprical arrangements between motoring associations, you are able to get (free) maps at the AAA. You will find that there is at least one office in each of Dallas and Fort Worth... and almost every other town along the way.

Might see you on the road... I will be visiting my daughter in Ft Lauderdale in Sept. lol

Lifey