Default Chicago to Daytona Beach for the Daytona 500

G'day everyone. Just starting to planning my 2013 trip and I'd love your input!

Allow me to set the scene. My long-time high school mate & I are both Australian's in our 30's who have been given a 'leave pass' by our good wives. As you could imagine, we plan to relive our 20's for a couple of weeks by having a roadtrip that, thanks to business commitments, we never got to have at the time.

You could say that this trip will just be one big Good Time, as Alan Jackson says. Therefore, we're interested in your advice and hearing about all those great honky tonks, bars, restaurants & other 'must see's' that we may not be aware of. You can't beat local knowledge and we want to experience it all!

We'll fly into LA in late Jan or early Feb then fly over to Chicago. We'll drive from Chicago through Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, then down to Daytona Beach for the Daytona 500. After that we'll drive to Orlando, fly to LA then fly back home.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks, in anticipation!

NSW, Australia

Melbourne, Australia

Default Starting your planning.

Hi Joey, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Sounds like you're in for a really good time. And with plenty of time before your departure, lots of time to research where your roadtrip will take you. One thing you need to be aware of, on this forum we actually don't do 'must-sees' or 'bests'. The philosophy on this site is, that whatever it is that you want to get out of your roadtrip, is the ideal trip for you. No such thing as 'one size fits all'.

With that in mind, I suggest that you get a wall sized map of the US to help you see the big picture. My favourite is the National Geographics map for the detail it has. Widely available in good map shops, as well as online. For durability, it pays to have it laminated.

Spend your time reading through these forums, use the search function up above, and check out the 'similar threads' at the bottom of this page. Every time you find something which is of interest to you, mark it on your map. It will help define your route from Chicago to Daytona Beach. And don't overlook what you may see on TV or read in magazines and the press, over the next twelve months. Mark it all on your map.

Check out all the attractions and other roadtrip planning pages on the green navigation bar above. And in the map centre, you will find lots of attractions along the way. When you have the dots on the map, by all means ask more questions. The experts here will help you fine tune the trip, and fill in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning, it is so much part of the trip.

Lifey in Melbourne

Champion! Thanks Lifey.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Obvious Fits

If you're ultimate goal is the Daytona 500, then there are at least a couple of obvious attractions along the way that you would probably want to hit. The first (chronologically/geographically) is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home to one of the classic motor sport events, and the second is (are) the NASCAR shops in and around Charlotte NC. For some thing(s) a bit more natural, you might want to check out Mammoth Cave, the Smoky Mountains, Cumberland Island, and/or Okefenokee Swamp. And of course while you're in the Daytona area, a side trip down to the Kennedy Space Center would be in order if you want to see some really fast vehicles.