Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

hi, Everyone im new to this forum but i have always loved travelling around the states. Dont know why i haven't found it earlier. The west coast area though is brand new to me. I would like to plan a trip for my upcoming 50th birthday, It is not until December 2013 but i would like to start now to plan as i can judge the pricing and the weather if i start now. I would like to as a couple of questions, Firstly is the weather ok for the beginning of December and also what is the best route to take. I am looking at around 2 days in SF followed by 2 or 3 days travelling to Vegas then spending around 4 there. I have been to Vegas before but that was 20 years ago. I have seen on the web that the quickest route can be quite boring and the other options could possibly be through Yosemite and death valley, Any help and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Default Lots and lots of options

Quote Originally Posted by toffeeman View Post
    I would like to plan a trip for my upcoming 50th birthday
    Well, Happy 50th and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Firstly is the weather ok for the beginning of December and also what is the best route to take
    . Trying to predict weather this far in advance is challenging. Normally, Tioga Pass which is a magnificent route over the Sierra Nevada mountains would be closed by December, but this year -- it was open -- more-or-less until January. But there are lots of options. To get started you might want to read the posts in this thread.
    I have been to Vegas before but that was 20 years ago.
    Las Vegas is my home town. We have another site that you might find interesting when planning your visit. Living-Las-Vegas.com
    I have seen on the web that the quickest route can be quite boring
    There's plenty to discover along any one of the 5-6 main routes between San Francisco and Las Vegas. What sorts of things interest you?

Look around this site some more and they we'll be able to respond to more specific things.

Mark

Thanks for your reply i didnt realise the weather would be an issue at that time of year i may have to look at a different route option.I really should do more investigating before i plan. I am quite open to routes for myself and my wife. I have always fancied a few days in SF but if the route is awkward i may look at another option, We are quite open regarding sightseeing we are quite spur of the moment. Small interesting towns and scenery is are thing . Any routes to Vegas would be good to look at.

Default Not really awkward.

It's not what you would really call awkward, it's just the most popular route across the Sierra Nevada on the scenic Tioga pass can be closed around this time of year. It might not be though !

It still gives you plenty of options for a 2 or 3 day trip from SF to Vegas. You could head inland to Yosemite NP and stay to the west of the mountains to Sequoia NP and get to Vegas around the southern end of the mountains via Bakersfield/Lake Isabella.

You could also head down to Monterey and take the very scenic coast drive around Big Sur to Cambria before heading inland.

With either option you could include a trip across Death valley.