1. Default Roadtrip that starts and ends in Los Angeles

Hello guys!

We are 6-7 norwegian friends that are planning a road trip in California/Las Vegas. We have to start and end in LA because of the flights that are already booked. We will arrive at LAX 29th of August 12:50 pm and leave 8th of September 02:15 pm, so this is going to be a 10 day road trip.

We all wanna be in LA for couple of days (see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica..) San Fransico, Santa Barbara and Las Vegas are cities we wanna visit. We dont wanna spend our whole vacation inside the car, so we were thinking maybe two days in Las Vegas too. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how we should do this? ..are there other cities we should consider?

Thank you so much :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can certainly see all of those places with 10 days. The bigger question to me is, Do you want to see anything other than cities? For example, Yosemite and Death Valley National Parks are right between SF and Vegas? Do you want to have time to explore the coast highway, or is stopping in Santa Barbara enough, before you find a freeway to San Francisco?

I will say, you don't have a ton of time. Really, you only have about 9 days. Your first day will pretty much be lost once you factor in customs/baggage/rental car/jet lag, and you really won't have much time on your departure day once you factor in the reverse of all those things. You'll certainly want to be back in LA, or just outside it, by the night of the 7th.

3. Default

Thank you so much for your respond!

I know it's not ton of time. We're going to Minneapolis/Sioux Falls and then New York after this road trip, so we had to consider our time in the US and ended up with 10 days.

Well... To be honest, I don't know much about the Yosemite and Death Valley National Parks. I looked Death Valley up and it kinda looked like the Badlands in South Dakota, is that right? Exploring the coast highway sounds like fun. I think all of wanna enjoy the sea, sun and do some tanning. We would like to do some relaxing too.

I really don't know much about the distances between these places. Where we should go from LA and so on, how the route should be like...

Green County, Wisconsin

There certainly are some similarities between Death Valley and the Badlands. I wouldn't call them the same experience by any means, but if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

LA to SF via the coast really is a 2 day trip, but a third day is nice if you can fit it in. Santa Barbara is a bit too far south for an overnight if you are just planning to do the trip in 2 days.

SF to Vegas can be done in one long day if you just take the freeways (I-5 to CA-58 to I-15) but you'd want 2 if you take the highly recommended route via Yosemite, and again that's one where 3 days would be even better.

LA to Vegas is a pretty simple 5 hour drive, give or take traffic and your exact destination in the LA area.