Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From LA to LV via Death Valley, then Grand Canyon and Mojave Desert [Advices needed]

Hey guys,

How are you doin'?

I am planning my second roadtrip. I've done my first a year ago and your help was ESSENTIAL for making that a "once in a lifetime" thing. Almost 7k miles of road in 4 weeks. Thank you all!

This time I am flying to LA and then:

Day 1:
    - Las Vegas via Death Valley (I loved DV more than anything the first time).

Day 2:
    - LV to Grand Canyon (driving by 66 from Kingman to Seligman). I also loved it the first time and I need a second.
    - Going back to LV from the north side of Grand Canyon, through 89 and I-15 (I hate to use the I's but there's no other option as I could see).

Day 3:
    - LV to Joshua Tree National Park, passing by Mojave National Preserve.
    - Back to LV using a little bit of I-15, then 95 all the way up.

Day 4:
    - Back to LA via Death Valley (Yeah I love it).

Here is the map I've come to, so far:
    http://g.co/maps/7ca4k

So I need some advices of what to see, what to do in the way. As I could see the first time, the things I like to most are driving, stop for sightseeing and eat on exotic places.

Have you been to those places, specially Mojave, Joshua and all that route down? Can you help me a little bit? :)

Thanks a lot!!!

Default One more option

Welcome back, here's a route (video and photos too) for a route from LA to Las Vegas via Death Valley contributed by Megan.

I'll comment about your route when I return tomorrow.

Mark

Thank you Mark!

Actually I've used that route the first time I went to Death Valley, and I am going to repeat it again. Thank you Megan!!!

I have no knowledge of this part of the trip:

- Going back to LV from the north side of Grand Canyon, through 89 and I-15 (I hate to use the I's but there's no other option as I could see).

Day 3:
    - LV to Joshua Tree National Park, passing by Mojave National Preserve.
    - Back to LV using a little bit of I-15, then 95 all the way up.

Any advices? :)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Default Take an exit

Quote Originally Posted by gustavobrust View Post
    I have no knowledge of this part of the trip:

Like you, , I do so not want to drive on the I's if I can help it. Have you thought of just taking an exit, and see what's there?

Just make sure you have good maps with you. Don't rely on electronics. No knowing what gems you may stumble across.

Lifey
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

I understand the perception of Interstate Highways of not being scenic or adventurous, but there are a lot of times where trying to avoid the I's at all costs actually causes you to miss out on some great roads. I-15 is one of them, with the section that clips the corner of NW Arizona being very nice.

However, I do have to raise a massive red flag. Your "day 2" plan of driving Route 66, seeing both the south and north rims, and driving back is simply not possible in a day. We don't recommend trying to drive to one rim and back to vegas in a day, much less try to visit both (including the 5 hour drive between them) and spend time on slower going Route 66.

What you are planning to do there is a minimum of 2 days, and I'd think about using a third day and take the very short detour to Zion National Park.

Default Just 4 days on the ground ?

As Michael pointed out, day 2 is not possible.

How long have you for this trip in total, just 4 days ? Why not fly in and out of Vegas ? Otherwise I would go from LA to GC south rim [1 night] and then up and around to Las Vegas [1 night] and then back to LA via Death valley. If your flight plans are included in day 1 you won't make it to GC and will have to stop on route. If 'Day 1' is your first full day in the US then you could go direct to GC and perhaps stop the night in Zion NP, a wonderful place !

Well,

There's a "Day 0" where I will arrive at LA at noon and take care of business.

And I really don't have any more days left, and my way-back flight will be from LA again.

Are you sure day 2 can't be done? I was thinking about leaving L.V. around 4 AM or so - in Brazil we are 6 hours ahead of Pacific Time, so I would take that to my advantage to try to drive during the day as much as possible.

The route for Day 2 would be this:

http://g.co/maps/vpbbs

I expect this little trip to take 18 hours of driving (as Google Maps says 13:30), is that correct? I can drive that long without any issues for a day.

What IYO are the main attractions on this North Ring route back to LV?

Thank you!!!

Sorry, but no, it can't be done and its not even close.

First, the map you've created is a route that's 700 miles. Even in a speed run on an interstate, it would take at least 13-14 hours just to drive it.

This loop spends most of its time on 2 lane highways. I suspect 18 hours is a correct estimate, but that is only time in the car! That doesn't factor in a single stop for sightseeing. It doesn't factor in any time at all to wait to get into Grand Canyon National Park. It doesn't factor any time to park your car and even walk to the rim to take a quick peak over the edge, and it certainly doesn't include any time at all to get on a shuttle bus if you want to see any of the couple dozen viewpoints beyond the village.

We won't even mention that the Grand Canyon is place that you get the most enjoyment by being able to stop and appreciate it. Being there for a sunrise or sunset is an amazing experience - the only people I've ever heard who didn't find it amazing were people who tryed to do something like the standard vegas daytrip, where they only had time to peak over the edge and then get back on the road - and you are trying to do that trip on steroids.

I'll also mention that you don't actually go to the North Rim via the map you created - that's another detour that would add at least 2 hours of driving.

You really need to stop and ask yourself what's the point? This strikes me as a trip where you are trying to do everything, and in the process will see nothing. You didn't say exactly when this trip will be, but since you posted it as a fall/winter trip, that means you probably only have 10-12 hours of daylight to work with, so even if you just drive and drive and drive without stopping, you'd still be doing nearly half your trip in the dark - and what's the point of a trip where you take the scenic route, if you can't see it?

Default What's the point ?

As a challenge or bet, yes, I guess it could be done. Would it be safe and enjoyable. No, and you wouldn't get any time out of the car..

To be honest I don't see the point in going back and forth to Vegas, it's adding miles and valuable time. From LA head through Joshua Tree to GC, then to Vegas via Zion NP and then from Vegas through Death valley to LA.

If you want to use Vegas as a base to explore, I would work with these day trips and leave Grand canyon this time and visit Johua tree on the way to or from LA.

Also, the North Rim is generally closed from November to May.

With the time you have, your route needs a major overhaul with an eye toward maximum efficiency and no backtracking, and WILL require the use of Interstate highways.