1. Default Route 66- Black Mountains of Arizona- I need Advice/Tips

I'm driving east bound on Route 66 in a few weeks. Starting from Oatman and eventually heading as far as Seligman.

I'm reading about the part of Route 66 that heads and winds through the Black Mountains. Do I need to be overally concerned about driving through this scenic, yet somewhat dangerous part of Route 66?

My thinking is:

1. Just go slow, take my time so I don't make any mistakes and go off the mountain lol

2. I'm headed east bound, so I will have the mountainside to my right. Most people driving Route 66 are headed west so in most cases through the Black Mtns. they have nothing on the right of them besides maybe an old guard rail in some sections.

Has anyone driven through the Black Mountains of Arizona? How was it? It is January so I'm assuming if they had a snowstorm on that road they would probably close it down like they do some of the roads into the Grand Canyon?

Any tips/advice would be helpful. I'm really looking forward to Oatman, Kingman, and Seligman. This is the only part of my Route 66 drive I'm still somewhat apprehensive about.

Thanks!

Your thinking is reasonable. Any time I'm in an unfamiliar location, I try not to go speeding around, even if the locals do.

I didn't find anything related to road closures on that particular stretch of highway over the past few years, but it is reasonable to assume there may be some restrictions.

Default Mountain to the right? (what)?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore268 View Post
    yet somewhat dangerous part of Route66?
    It's not very dangerous to 2012 cars -- it WAS very challenging for trucks in the 1950's, but the road is driven by thousands of drivers every month. It's in good shape and if you're anticipating a challenge -- you might be disappointed.
    2. I'm headed east bound, so I will have the mountainside to my right.
    Um.... it's sorta of a toss-up. The road alternates with a cliff-side, so whether you're heading east-bound or west-bound, you'll have "cliff-side" driving. But the drop-off is really pretty gentle.
    How was it? It is January so I'm assuming if they had a snowstorm on that road they would probably close it down like they do some of the roads into the Grand Canyon?
    I can't really imagine snow on this section of Route 66 -- I suppose it could happen, but not this year!

Here a short field report about a section of this road

Here are some photos of the road, captured by Gerald Thurman to help put your mind at ease.

This is pretty typical -- there are road drops on both side of the road... So, in the photo above, if you're driving east-bound, (which is really more north...) you'd be following that stretch of road from the left to the right and so the drop-off (such as it is) would be on your side of the road.

When you get to Seligman -- don't forget to visit here.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.

4. Default

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little more at ease about this part of the drive now.

Also, I had already planned on stopping at the Snow Cap Diner in Seligman. Is there anything they're known for food wise? Or just for the atmosphere/old diner feel in general? I just like to know if these diners and restaurants I go to are known for anything special, because that's usually what I try to order.

Thanks again!

Default Other RTA Members

Actually, I've not stopped there yet. But several other RTA members have.

Mark

I would not worry about that stretch. Its 5 miles of switchbacks on both sides of Sitgreaves pass and the road is not in a very good condition (Oatman highway). There are several places worth a stop on the long descend to Kingman. In Kingman visit the museum/visitor center along Andy Devine (R66) and have somithing to eat at Mr. D'z R66 restaurant opposite from the visitor center. Then take the old route66 via Hackberry (worth another stop). In Seligman at Delgadillo Snow Cap ask for mustard on your food and you'll see what will happen. Another place is the Roadkill cafe.
    Yeehaw