1. Default New Orleans and around - 1 day

Again, I have only a day to look around NOLA, I will spend one and half days in NOLA, but I would like to drive around a bit, perhaps see Baton Rouge and the Bayou. Also New Iberia would be of intrest, mainly bcause of the great books by James Lee Burke.

Any suggestions?

And since one of goals in my wordly travels is to taste the local cuisine at its best, all suggestions for the best places for true cajun/creole food are greatly appreciated, either outside NOLA or in there.

I know, I have backed too much stuff into this stint, but I`ll try to make the best of it, and sincerely hope that you guys can help me!

Surfbird

Any particular date range this trip will take place within?

Is this within the context of a larger trip?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Any particular date range this trip will take place within?

Is this within the context of a larger trip?
    I answered to this, but it went to bit heaven, I suppose.

I am going to be in NOLA from Thursday, February 16th (morning) until the following Sunday morning and have thought that I could have aday outside NOLA.

Any ideas?

Surfbird

Default Nola

Since I am from NOLA and currently live in Baton Rouge, I might just be able to help out. As far as food goes, try to avoid the "tourist" restraurants and seek out local establishments. Mother's restraurant on Canal St, at the river is an excellent choice. They have a variety of local fare. Oceana grill on Conti St, near Bourbon St is also a great choice. Take a day trip to Oak Alley Plantation, or many other plantation homes in the area. Of course you would want to ride the St Charles Avenue street car to see the beautiful homes along the avenue.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Anderson View Post
    Since I am from NOLA and currently live in Baton Rouge, I might just be able to help out. As far as food goes, try to avoid the "tourist" restraurants and seek out local establishments. Mother's restraurant on Canal St, at the river is an excellent choice. They have a variety of local fare. Oceana grill on Conti St, near Bourbon St is also a great choice. Take a day trip to Oak Alley Plantation, or many other plantation homes in the area. Of course you would want to ride the St Charles Avenue street car to see the beautiful homes along the avenue.
    Thanks Craig,

At the moment my plan is to rent a car for Friday, the 16th, and drive a round trip from NOLA to Baton Rouge and back "home" trough New Iberia and that area - I`d like to see also the bayou, is there chance for that in that route?

I would like to also the really original local cajun food for lunch, any suggestions where I could find that - I am planning to spend the Friday night in the French Quarter anyways....

Surfbird

6. Default

Here I am now, car booked for tomorrow (Hertz did not make it easy, have to say...and also Expedia played a hand in it), heading out to svcout the French Quarter.

At the moment is to head out the New Iberai way, also want to see some bayou...any ideas?

Yours, Surfbird

Default Thanks for the local intel

Craig,

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and thanks for the local information!

Mark

Default The southern edge of the Great River Road?

The upper part of this route is not germane to your quest, but you might consider traveling along the southern part as part of your trip.

Here are some suggestions that AZBuck posted about visiting the bayou country.

Mark