Default Need Help Planning a Spring Break Road Trip

Hi,

I am a college student at UNCC and would like to plan a road trip to DC, Philadelphia, Jersey Shore, and New York New York for spring break.

I would like help planning. I am trying to find ways to keep this trip at a maximum of 200 a person. Help is needed!

Default Update

I would really like to stay in DC for 1 day and visit all of the national treasures (Washington Monument, Library of Congress, etc) then I would like to go to Philadelphia and spend 1 day there and visit the liberty bell and all of the national treasures and then head to NY, NY for 2 days then back home

Default Probably Not

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that you have a week for Spring Break, $200 per person breaks down to $28/day for a seven day trip and only $22/day for a nine day trip. It's tough to imagine even feeding yourselves on that sort of budget let alone finding a place to stay and travel costs and admissions and incidentals. I just don't see any realistic possibility of this trip happening on the sort of budget you imagine.

AZBuck

I have found hotels for 4 nights for 80 a person so that leaves 120 and I am not including gas because I plan on paying that myself

Default Better

The biggest plus is that you will only be on the road for 5 days, rather than the 7-9 that I thought. My apologies for missing that in your original posts. You've also managed to find some very 'reasonable' hotel room rates for Washington, Philadelphia and New York. Just be aware that many hotels do not allow more than 4 people per room without charging extra. The other major expense over which you will have some measure of control is food. As best I can interpret your set-up at the moment, you are budgeting about $20/day/person for this. That is not a lot, and means that you cannot afford to eat out much, if at all. Plan on bringing a cooler and shopping at super market type grocery stores for the bulk of your food needs and eating large breakfasts and suppers in your hotel room with only a minimal snack while you are out and about during the day. Check with the hotels that you have booked to see if your room(s) come with a microwave or even a coffee maker (which can also be used to provide hot water), and/or a mini fridge. Every appliance provided will help you prepare meals at 'home', and it's best to find out what you'll have available now. Another great way to stretch your budget is to attend as many free attractions as possible. High on such a list for the cities you'll be visiting would be the museums, monuments, and government buildings along the National Mall in Washington; Independence Mall, Elfreth's Alley, and the Italian Market on S. 9th Street in Philadelphia; Central Park, Times Square, the Battery and the Staten Island Ferry in New York.

AZBuck