Default spring road trip to Coastal North and/or South Carolina

I'd love to check out the Coastal Carolinas over spring break April 7-April 15. I'm traveling with my husband and two 14 year old twin boys. I'd like to stop overnight on the way there and back in different places. Once there I'd like a destination with lots of fun things for us to do and see, and allow for some days with no driving at all.
    I am very open to what my final destination would be. Does anyone have any suggestions that would wow the kids, and satisfy my need to site see?
    Thanks, Carolyn

2. Default

You couldn't pick a better time to enjoy the beauty of the Carolina coast. The spring flowers will be at their prime. (But, I'm not sure how long two 14 yeaar olds can stay excited about that.) Some random thoughts -- On the way, Williamsburg, VA makes history alive. (We took our daughters there at that age for their spring break and they were so interested that two later went to college at W&M.) From there you can head to Wilmington, NC, where the boys can explore the USS North Carolina -- climb into turrets, hold the wheel in the navigation bridge and learn about WW2. South a few miles they can visit Ft. Fisher and learn about the Civil War from a southern perspective. The beach at Ft. Fisher is worth some time -- the water will be chilly but they can splash about or visit the aquarium. Take the ferry to Southport and continue to Myrtle Beach, SC where there is theatre, a great beach and nearby Huntington State Park where they may see aligators sunning themselves.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will start researching your suggestions, and keep checking back for any other ideas posted.
    If I follow your suggestions, we'd bypass the outer banks wouldn't we? I've never been there either. Is that worth considering?
    Thanks again

4. Default

Everyone sets different priorities. The Outer Banks could interest your sons - the Wright Brothers National Memorial is the site of the first flight, the beach is excellent (at that time of year it will be too cold to swim). However, is it worth the time compared to other places?

If you go to there you might consider visiting Ft. Macon State Park, near Morehead City. It is a Civil War fort and might interest the boys. Or, if you are north of there, Bath, NC is a pretty village where Blackbeard the pirate had a home -- much lore.