1. Default What to see driving from Miami to New York in March

Hi We are arriving from Australia in Miami end of March and would like to drive to New York , we have about 3 days can you help with which is the best way to go, and what to see and where to stay on the way Thank you Sue

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Three days means that you have the right amount of time to make this trip a couple of different ways. I would also say that keeping an eye on the weather will be important to decide which of several routes you would take, as late March can still pack a mean punch with regards to winter weather.

One option is to head up the coast, essentially along the I-95 corridor. Interstate 95 has been noted the most heavily traveled Interstate highway in the country, which means that it's busy, and passes through a lot of different places to see. Savannah, GA; Richmond, VA; Washington, DC; and around Philadelphia, PA. This is about 1300 miles - approximately 435 miles per day.

Another option would be to head north on I-95, then west on I-26, north on I-77 then north on I-81. This will bring you Columbia, SC; Charlotte, NC; and into the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Continuing on I-81, connect with I-78 in Pennsylvania. This adds about 200 miles to the previous trip.

Either one of these options still gives you some time to explore places along the way. If you didn't want to go through Washington, DC, you could also take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel for a different experience.

3. Default

Another variation. Take I-95 to South Carolina. About 33 miles north of the Georgia/South Carolina border head east to the coast and take US-17 north to Virgina. This takes you to Myrtle Beach, SC and then change to US-13 to go over the bridge/tunnel from the Norfolk, VA area to the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay - a pretty ride if the weather co-operates. This connects to I-95 and you can take this a few miles to I-295 over the bridge to the New Jersey Turnpike. This by-passes Washington, DC and Baltimore congestion.

You can by-pass the Myrtle Beach traffic by taking US-501 north a few miles to route 31 north to route 9 and return to US-17 north to North Carolina. The route is generally good though it passes through Charleston and the small villages, even wiht stop lights it might give you a sense of small town America. This is also about 1300 miles but a bit slower driving than I-95 direct.