1. Default Houston to Nashville and back..

Hi there! Firstly, what a great website, wish I'd found this for previous trips!
    We are planning on flying to Houston from the UK late May/early June to drive to Nashville. We need to be there by the 7th and back to Houston for around the 14th. I have done route 66 before, but have little knowledge of this area, so any tips and ideas of places to stay (on a shoe string, naturally) and places to drink, things to see etc would be a great help!

Many thanks! :)

Welcome to RTA!

It's difficult to recommend things without actually knowing a little about your interests, the types of things you want to see, etc.

We have an entire forum called "Saving Money on the Road", worth perusing. If what's showing isn't enough, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and have it show you all the threads from the past few months. Budget eaters include fuel, restaurants, and overnights. For fuel, if you're renting, choose a fuel-efficient car and get your fuel at Love's or Flying J truck stops (they generally have the best fuel prices in the area). For eating, you can buy a small cooler and carry your own snacks and drinks that you buy at a grocery store. (That would be MUCH cheaper than buying things at convenience stores!)
    These are the types of tips you'll find in the other forum here at RTA.

Donna

Default Try the Trace

Hello MargotLouise,

Your trip presents a fine opportunity to travel the Natchez Trace Parkway, a 444 mile two-lane scenic drive from Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN. It's actually the most direct route for much of your trip. No commercial vehicles are allowed on the Parkway, and the speed limits are slower than Interstate highway limits. I believe 50 mph is the top posted limit.

You might be interested in going through Memphis (Elvis, blues, barbeque) and the Delta Blues country of northwest Mississippi on one leg of your trip, too.

Foy

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. Mostly our interests revolve around music, it's a big reason for our choice of location! Big into country and rhythm and blues as well as rock n roll. So I think mostly looking for recommendations on good bars, points of interest related to that really. :)

Default Robert's in Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by MargotLouise View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Mostly our interests revolve around music, it's a big reason for our choice of location! Big into country and rhythm and blues as well as rock n roll. So I think mostly looking for recommendations on good bars, points of interest related to that really. :)
    MargotLouise,

My wife was in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel/Convention Center for a few days in November. She enjoyed the Hotel complex itself a great deal, and the convention she attended ran shuttle vans back and forth to "Lower Broad", the music hall/bar/restaurant concentration in downtown Nashville, on Lower Broadway. There, Robert's Western World is heralded as the place to be. She went to Robert's and had a great time. I think some research into live music venues in Nashville will turn up more and a wider variety of music than you can shake a stick at. Ditto for Memphis, and probably for the Clarksdale, MS area, too.

Foy

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    MargotLouise,

My wife was in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel/Convention Center for a few days in November. She enjoyed the Hotel complex itself a great deal, and the convention she attended ran shuttle vans back and forth to "Lower Broad", the music hall/bar/restaurant concentration in downtown Nashville, on Lower Broadway. There, Robert's Western World is heralded as the place to be. She went to Robert's and had a great time. I think some research into live music venues in Nashville will turn up more and a wider variety of music than you can shake a stick at. Ditto for Memphis, and probably for the Clarksdale, MS area, too.

Foy
    Wonderful advice, thank you. What route would you say best from Clarksdale back to Houston, I'd like to find somewhere half wayish to stay. :)

Default No real "tight" recommendations,but..........

.....since I haven't traveled that area in nearly 30 years, any familiarity is more than a bit dated, isn't it?

That said, I'd have an interest in remaining on the Delta south of Clarksdale (and it's the floodplain of the Mississippi and its tributaries, not the delta, which is below New Orleans, a quirk in regional nomenclature which drives the geologist in me mad). Bob Dylan's Highway 61 can take you all the way to Baton Rouge if you so chose. There are quite a number of antebellum plantation sites along The Great River Road, which faint recollection tells me US 61 forms a part of. It's somewhat more than halfway, but eschewing Highway 61 might make up for some of the extra time, so I'd be sorely tempted to overnight at Layfayette, LA, pretty much the capital of genuine Cajun Country. Surely there is an abundance of live music and good local eats to be had in Lafayette or Breaux Bridge, just a little ways east of Lafayette.

Foy