1. Default 1st road trip western America

Hi I'm hoping to get some advice. I am planning a trip in Sep this year with my husband our son (who will be 2&1/2) and our 2 friends (from Netherlands). We are travelling from Scotland out to LA & will arrive Sep 7th at 1pm and will take a hotel and hire a car for the first night. The following day we will collect our RV and begin our tour.

Our proposed route is LA - Grand Canyon - Las Vegas - Death valley - sequoia - Yosemite - San Francisco - LA visiting beaches along the way and some time in LA either at beginning or end. I have looked at several different sites but can't seem to find the information we're looking for so I am hopeful that other more experienced members will be able to help. I am unsure of the timing ie how long we should be spending in each place? How long it takes to travel between each destination?

We are going for 18nights in total does this give us enough time to do everything we want to do? We had some other places we looked at going because I would like to include some fun things for my son ie Anaheim and San Diego zoo which are currently not on the itinerary but with him being 2&1/2 he will more than likely be just as happy being relaxed at the beach playing rather than stretching ourselves to thin trying to do too much.

This will be our first time visiting Western America and first time in a RV so any all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Tucson, AZ

Default Rest Assured

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Two and a half weeks is plenty of time to see and do everything on your list. You would always like more time, of course, but as long as you keep your time constraints in mind as you plan your journey, you should be able to budget sufficient time at each stop. The definition of 'sufficient time' will vary with each place you visit and with your own preferences, so we can't tell you exactly "how long (you) should be spending in each place." We can tell you, approximately, how long it will take you to get from place to place and that is about 20% longer than the typical computer program will tell you. Just remember that computer programs don't have to stop for food, gas or bathroom breaks and never get slowed down by traffic. For some more general hints on the area, check here, and for some info on the RV lifestyle check here.

South of England.

Default Comfortably.

As Buck touched on, it really boils down to you as to how long you should stay in each place, but I would recommend at least a couple of nights at the Grand canyon and Yosemite to make sure of 1 full day and perhaps a little time on arrival and before departure. From LA to GC would be a full day on the road and you could consider a trip through Joshua Tree NP and stop overnight on route. You could spend a night in Death valley or make it same day to the Lake Isabella area and you will need at least 1 night around/in Sequoia NP. You will have to keep up to date with vehicle lenght restrictions on the Generals Highway into Sequoia via Three rivers from the southern end of the park. [They are reduced at the moment, or at least the last time I looked] You can still visit the park but might have to head north to Fresno and the 180.

If you wanted to keep on the go you could have time to go up into Southern Utah from GC and visit Zion and possibly Bryce canyon before dropping down to Vegas on I15.

I would highly recommend using the NP Campgrounds where possible and to do this you will need to book as soon as you can after the booking window opens for each one. They are very popular and have a limited number of RV sites. In Vegas, I would recommend the Oasis RV resort. It's a reasonable priced cab fare to the Strip and it has nice pools and is just a nice place to be !