1. Default July Road Trip CA coast and Las Vegas

Hi, I have been reading this forum for the past few days and really enjoyed reading everyone's responses regarding other's recent and upcoming road trips. My husband and I are planning on taking a vacation this July (most likely, mid-July) and want to drive down the CA coast and then make our way to Las Vegas. Unlike some of you, we cannot spend as much time touring the CA coast but would like to do as much as we can in the time we have out there. We would like to fly out to CA, spend 4 days touring the coast, and then either drive or fly to Las Vegas for three days.

I have a few questions regarding this as we have never been to CA before this...should we fly into SF and then tour the coast from north to south? Also, with our 4 days to spend there, what are the essential places to stop and see? We would love to take in a baseball game one night, whether it is in SF, Oakland, LA, or Anaheim as well as stop in Hollywood and Disneyland (that's for me, not my husband :) )

Would traveling by car from the LA area to Las Vegas be the most logical thing to do?

Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated! It's overwhelming when you first start looking into all of this!

Thank you in advance!!!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

4 days for the coast is going to be a bit limiting with all the things you want to do. Its really a 2 day drive, but a 3rd is a good idea when you want to stop and explore things along the way. The 4 days would be fine, but it sounds like you also are trying to see LA and SF with that time too.

For Baseball, I'd try to see a game in SF if the schedule allows. Its one park I have not been to, but it always is listed as among the best in baseball. Either LA or Anaheim would also be fine, and Oakland would be my last choice, as the colliseum typically ranks near the very bottom of ballpark rankings.

Driving to Vegas would probably make the most sense. Its about 5 hours from LA, and by the time you deal with rental cars and security, I doubt you'd save much, if any, time by flying. However, I'd also give some thought to skipping Vegas and just spend your week between SF, the coast, and LA, or at the least, cut out a day from Vegas, so you aren't overly rushed in California.

3. Default

Thank you so much for your reply!

We're still trying to work out the time frame in regards to how many days to spend in CA and Las Vegas. We're still flexible with that - so if suggestions are coming back that we should spend more time in CA - we'll definitely think about that! We do want to at least spend a few days in Las Vegas - we've been there for the past three years on vacation and we absolutely love it!

Thank you for the baseball suggestions. My husband has always wanted to go to LA's stadium but we need to check out the schedules once we settle on a date. We figured Oakland wasn't high on the stadium list too!

If we were to spend one more day in CA - would driving from SF down the coast, stopping in LA and Hollywood, and then down to Anaheim... does that sound more reasonable?

Like I said, I am overwhelmed at the moment with all the things we'd like to do. Does SF warrant a day there? Does LA/Hollywood warrant a day there in your opinion?

Any suggestions on car rentals? We'd like to rent a convertible for our trip.

Thanks again,
    Brianna

Default Prioritising.

Does SF warrant a day there?
    I'm not a big fan of the City life and much prefer the natural wonders, but...I found SF to be a wonderful City and you would struggle to do it justice in a day, but Yes it warrants a visit IMO.

Does LA/Hollywood warrant a day there in your opinion?
    I have not been and have no real desire to go [see above] but if I were going to tackle the urban sprawl of LA, I don't think it would be worth the hassle for just one day. I have a picture of most of that day being spent sitting in traffic ! [lol]

It's all about your priorities though and what appeals to you the most, but with 4 days, SF, LA and the coast in between you will have to decide. With a 5th day you could spend 2 days in each City and a day travelling in between, but that would mean skipping the very scenic coastal stretch around Big Sur which would require an overnight stop.

If it were I, I would spend a couple of days in SF and make my way to Monterey and the following day enjoy a scenic and relaxing trip trip down the coast to the Cambria area and then head from there inland to Vegas and skip LA altogether. Like I say, that's just me.

Default overstuffed

If we were to spend one more day in CA - would driving from SF down the coast, stopping in LA and Hollywood, and then down to Anaheim... does that sound more reasonable?

Like I said, I am overwhelmed at the moment with all the things we'd like to do. Does SF warrant a day there? Does LA/Hollywood warrant a day there in your opinion
    You really need a minimum of 2 days to drive the coast from SF to LA, and even a 3rd would be very helpful if you want to explore places like Monterey, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, etc.

SF and LA are both areas where people can and do spend an entire week or more. They are certainly worth a day, the potential problem is that a day alone is not much time to see either place. LA is probably most problematic because of the sheer size of the area, which generally includes Anaheim too. Disney alone is a place that would typically take up a full day.

While I get that you love Vegas, the fact that you've been there several times before would make me lean towards skipping it this time. While you can squeeze in stops at all 3 cities, I think that trying to do SF, LA, and Vegas in just a week will leave you tired and disappointed. If Vegas remains a must, then I think I'd look at skipping one of the other cities in California, or find a way to get a couple more days of time.

Quote Originally Posted by brianna427 View Post
    warrant a day there? Does LA/Hollywood warrant a day there in your opinion?
    Brianna -- we lived here in San Diego County for about 20 years before we did the first of the Hollywood thing, Universal Studios. It took us another 5 to decide to do the Hollywood Walk of Fame and drive up to Malibu. So would I recommend it? Yes, if you love movies, celebrities, and similar. No if it isn't a passion.

Donna