Default 9 day winter road trip - San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register to ask some questions of my own :)

In this first post I would like to ask you for advice regarding my road trip from San Diego to Seattle. I've got some ideas of my own but would like to hear what you guys think.

My basic outline of the trip is as follows:
    1 day in Tijuana
    2-3 days in Greater LA area
    2 days in SF bay area
    3-4 days in Vancouver/Seattle area

When driving I'm planning to stick to the coast as much as possible.

Can you guys recommend interesting places to visit along that route? Also are you aware of any quality yet inexpensive lodging along that route?

Hope to hear from you,
    unimog

Default Where's the driving time?

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by unimog View Post
    When driving I'm planning to stick to the coast as much as possible.
    I am not sure that I understand your plan. You plan to spend 2-3 days in LA and 2 days in SF? How much time have you planned for the trip from one to the other? You need to take into account that driving along the coast is going to be quite slow. For example, taking the Pacific Coast Highway (#1) from LA to SF is going to take you all of two days.

This itenary may need a little replanning.

Looking at budget accommodation, you might like to check out some of the excellent hostels along this route. I know there are quality hostels in LA, Monterey, SF, Sacramento, etc. And most, if not all hostels provide private rooms if you so desire.

Lifey

I didn't know it would take me two days to get from LA to SF by highway 1. I guess I need a little re-planning indeed.

You need to factor in your drive times much more than just the LA to SF section.

The entire coast highway is a slow moving, curving, 2 lane road. Its well worth it from a scenic perspective, but it takes about twice as much time as traveling via I-5. SF to Seattle is already a 1.5 day drive on the freeway, You need at least 3-4 days to make the trip via the coast.

I'd also seriously reconsider your planned stop in Tijuana. The drug violence south of the border is quite extreme, and visitors have been the victims of that violence. Tijuana has seen some of the worst in war between the cartels and police, and as such, it has been one of the most violent cities in the world in recent years.

I thought I'd report back after the trip so you guys don't think I got lost in Tijuana :)

You were right, I only had time to stick to the coast when driving from LA to SF. For the rest of the trip I had to stick to major highways which was somewhat boring. I wish someone would have warned me about Oregon fog!

I'll try to compile a small photo collage with highlights from the trip and post it here. BTW. I'm definitely going to make that trip again, only this time hopefully it will be 30+ days long. I can already tell it will be awesome.

Default Good to hear.

Great to hear you had such a good trip... and learned a bit about roadtripping.

Quote Originally Posted by unimog View Post
    ... only this time hopefully it will be 30+ days long. I can already tell it will be awesome.
    That is always the way... all those things you did not have time to check out. Good luck, I hope you get to do it.

Lifey