worcestershire UK

Default hotel location in washington DC

This isn't a road trip question as such more a tail end of a road trip question! We will be flying back from Palm Springs to DC after a 3 week East to West Road Trip and we have a two day window to explore DC. We have not been before. We will not have a car as this is being dropped in Palm Springs the day before. My question is ... where can we stay that is cheap, safe and most of all accessible to the main areas on DC? We fly in to Reagan on the 28th and out of Dulles on the 30th August 2012.

Tucson, AZ

Default Anywhere on the Metro

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The Washington area subway system, the Metro, connects National Airport and downtown Washington, as well as a number of suburban Virginia locations within easy walking distance of low to moderate cost motels. So unless you plan to spend your evenings in town sampling the nightlife, I'd suggest that you look for a quiet motel near one of the Metro stops. Note that the Orange line will put you closest to Dulles airport for your eventual departure. I'd also try for a stop out near the end of one of the lines as the trains can fill up early during rush hour. Almost all the well known downtown destinations are within easy walking distance of the National mall which is served by the Smithsonian, Federal Triangle, Archives and L'Enfant Plaza stations.

3. Default

I recommend the northern VA area near the Metro stops. Most of that area is very safe and nice. Montgomery County MD is fine too, although it would be a longer Metro trip in to most of the sights you'd probably like to see and to the airport. You'd want to avoid many of the areas to the east of the city.