Thread: advice needed

1. Default advice needed

advice needed for a planned trip to visit some friends stateside .

So the route is from Boston to Detroit, then onto Cleveland continue to Lexington finish point is Nashville , Now this is planned for June/ July on a motorcycle . Firstly anyone know of a company that would hire a cruiser start hire @ Boston then de-hire in Nashville . I cannot find one except one that wants paying for the bike to be returned via a truck @ a ridiculas cost . 2nd option is buy a bike , insure it out there pay the taxes etc etc then sell the bike upon depature . could someone ( i have aready tried the map route thingy , but it won't work for some reason on multipull points ) give me a approx overall mileage on that trip .

Now i think that the buy option would be best as a friend of mine in Boston can buy it, arrange insurance then another friend can sell it in Nashville with luck i should then end up with minamal costs as i sell for approx what i buy for :) .Finaly i am sure it does , but is a uk full bike licence valid Stateside

Any help , or advice greatly appriciated

steve
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-01-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removed non-standard typesetting

Default Are you aware?

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Before you go any further with this, just a word of caution. Are you aware that in the US, it is not the driver/rider, but the owner who is liable for any injury and or damage caused in an accident. So be very sure that your friend is prepared to take on this liability, and that you are comfortable with having him take on this burden.

And yes, a one way drop of fee is almost the norm, be it for cars or bikes. It is one of the costs of doing a one way trip.

You are looking at around 1500 miles.

Lifey

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

For Motorcycle rentals the major chain, and likely the only possible option for a one way rentals, is going to be Eaglerider. Yes, you are going to pay a significant premium for a one way rental. That is true for any rental, but when you are talking about a specialty vehicle like a motorcycle its going to be even more expensive.

But as Lifey noted, buying a car is a far more challenging and expensive process than I think you are expecting. First, as a non-resident it will be virtually impossible for you to purchase a car, and get it licensed, and get it insured. Your UK license is perfectly valid to drive in the US, but if you were to purchase a car, you'd likely need to get a US license, which is very difficult to impossible.

Having a friend purchase a car is extremely problematic as well. As Lifely mentioned, your friend would be taking a significant financial risk if something were to happen. Even more difficult, if the bike is in your friends name, you would not be able to sell it unless he was there!

Costs will also likely be more than you expect, as taxes, license, insurance, and loss in resale all add up.

Eaglerider does in fact offer one way rentals from Boston to Nashville - approximate rates for 15 days are $1000 for a Harley Sportster 883 and $1500 for larger Harleys. That would be much easier and preferable to buying one.

5. Default

Eaglerider does in fact offer one way rentals from Boston to Nashville - approximate rates for 15 days are $1000 for a Harley Sportster 883 and $1500 for larger Harleys. That would be much easier and preferable to buying one.
    That sounds exactly what i require, and a $1500 ammount is well within my budget . Last min flights from my hometown of Birmingham uk to Boston is around £450 one way , and return from Nashville around the same price .

$1500 equates to approx £1000 so i'm looking @ approx £2,000 ( $3,000) total plus of course gas costs on top . Staying with my friends Stateside will cut my "food" costs considerably, and i'v been informed that motel costs are around the $70 per night for a half decent one is that correct ? .

I have a total budget of around $5,000 so it looks as though i'm gonna get this ball rolling come the summer months :)
    Last edited by demon; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling

For motels, $70 would be a good average. You'll find areas where you can find something much cheaper, but there will be those areas that will be a little more expensive. You can do a little research online in many different ways -- check the RTA hotel-finder box and enter a few city names, or go to roomsaver.com and look up some hotels in the areas that have a coupon deal. If you have a specific motel chain in mind, you can also check their website for Internet deals. When my husband and I go on vacation, we budget $75/night and rarely go over that.

Donna

Honestly, it is pretty rare when I even spend that much for a room. I'm usually able to keep my costs to around $50 or less per night. However, I'm generally happy with the cheapest places I can find. Getting up into the $70-80 a night range will generally get you into a mid-level chain, often with newer and better features than you'll find at a budget motel.

Default Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'm usually able to keep my costs to around $50 or less per night. However, I'm generally happy with the cheapest places I can find.
    I have rarely seen the necessity to go over that.

Lifey

9. Default

hey thanx foir all the help one , and all i really appriciate that . went to eaglerider website total cost inc insurance was $1280 for 13 days hire thats a brand new , or almost brand new cruiser. unlimited mileage , helmet, saddlebags all inc as well . problem is that to visit Detroit they want an extra $800 on the insurance for a non u.s. resident so it would appear tht the rumours are true about detroit :( . so just gonna skip that port of call off the trip , and go Boston , down the east coast cut accross virginia into Nashville area .around 1800 miles in total with 13 days to do it :) .