1. Default San Francisco -> LA -> Las Vegas in an RV?

We are in the process of planning our first 'road trip' in the US this spring.

Initial plan is :

Fly into San Francisco from UK
    Stay couple of days, visit to Alcatraz + other sights
    Hire RV and drive down the coast to LA.
    Stay few days in LA and do the tourist thing...(not sure what yet :D) - Oh couple of days theme parks.
    Drive on to Las Vegas, again stay few days
    Drive to Grand Canyon, heli ride
    Next - ???
    Fly out from LA? or drive back to SF?

Been to the US a few times, but only to Orlando/Miami/Keys etc..

We'll have 2 weeks on the ground in the US. The RV plan was so we always had a nice 'home'. No packing/unpacking, being able to make it our own etc.. and be able to go where ever we wanted to.

There's only me, my wife and step-son, so a nice big (30+ ft) RV will give us plenty of room and more privacy than a single hotel room.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advise on RV's and where to go for a first trip? My real concerns regard using the RV in cities. Where do you park, how accepted are they etc.

Any help/advise would be greatly received.

South of England.

Default Right to be a little concerned.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Whereas an RV can be a great Lifestyle option, Im not sure it would be best suited to your current plans that seem to be biased to the City life where you plan to spend a "few days" in each one. SF nor LA are particularly RV friendly and if you want to move around LA, an RV isn't the best tool for the job. It certainly won't be the budget friendly option either. In the National parks and wilderness areas they can be wonderful, but you would first need to decide what you really want from this trip.

This was our first RV trip from SF some years ago.

In response to your initial plan, you could easily take 2-3 days driving between SF and LA and explore some of the scenic coastal highway around Big Sur. It might work out better if you were to head to the South rim of the Grand canyon from LA and then to Vegas and either end your journey there or head back to SF to complete a loop. From Vegas back to SF there are the NP's of Death valley, Sequoia and Yosemite of which all are amazing in there own unique way. Some routes may not be an option depending on when in the Spring you are travelling and the weather. The mountain passes in the Sierra Nevada [like the popular Tioga pass into Yosemite] may still be closed due to winter snow accumulation. You would still be able to visit but you would have to go south of the mountains via Bakersfield.

If you ended your trip in Vegas you could consider visiting Monument valley from the GC and head into Southern Utah and Zion NP before dropping back down to Vegas on I15.

Here is a link to some of our favourite threads covering this popular area.

This recent thread talks about the RV v Car debate and has some useful links.

Once you have had a look around and discussed it some more and new questions come up just ask. I'm sure we will be able to help to 'fine tune' your trip.