Default NCAA Bowl games road trip

A few Mates and I are considering doing a road trip across the US ,attending as many NCAA bowl games and NFL games as possible then culminating with the Superbowl.
    Being Australian and not overly familiar with the NCAA and Nfl systems we have a few questions , hoping somebody could help.
    Are the NCAA bowl games played at the same venues yearly?? Would it be possible to see as many games as possible when travelling by motorhome.How would we go with ticketting??

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The NCAA Bowl games are all held in mid-December through early January, with most of them taking place right on or around New Years. The majority of the games are held in the southern US, in places like California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. There are some exceptions, like Idaho, Michigan, and New York to name a few.

The big 5 "BCS" games are the Rose Bowl (Pasadena CA), Fiesta (Phoenix), Sugar (New Orleans), and Orange (Miami), and the National Championship game which is held at one of those 4 stadiums. All of the other bowls are more minor games, and for the most part they stay the same each year. There are a few changes each year, but looking at this year's schedule would give you an idea of what you could expect to see in the future. (Since New Years is on a Sunday this year, most of the "New Years" games are actually held on Jan 2 this year)

Other than the major bowls, tickets won't usually be too difficult to come by, as many of the games struggle to sell out. Since the games are located all over the country, and over a relatively short time period, you'd have to pick and choose which games you'd go to, keeping in mind that you may need to limit yourself to one part of the country, or making sure that you are giving yourself enough time to get between games if you see games as you head across the country.

Thanx Midwest Michael

As you can guess this is a work in progress . A priority on my bucket list to be precise.I am guessing that we should make the big 5 BCS games a priority and "pick up " as many NFL/NCAA extras as we travel along.
    Our goal is to culminate our travels at a super bowl.
    is this a distinct possibility , or are we trying to do TOO much from a motor home , should we be looking to mix air travel with smaller motorhome stays

Any advise appreciated ,

Default can't do it

Its not possible to hit all 5 in one year. And as a roadtrip, it would be difficult to hit more than 2 or 3 of them.

The reason you can't do all 5 is that at least 2 are designed to be back to back games on TV. This year the Fiesta Bowl starts right after the Rose Bowl ends. (The Fiesta, Orange, and Sugar bounce around, but the Rose is always held on the afternoon of New Years).

This year, the Rose and Fiesta are on the 2nd, the Sugar is on the 3rd, and the Orange is the 4th. Driving, you could only get to one of those games, as New Orleans is more than a days drive from Phoenix or LA, and Miami is more than a days drive from New Orleans. The only time you could hit more than one is when the Rose and Fiesta are on different days, because those are the only two that you can drive between in a single day.

You could fly to get to all of them (except the back to back games) but then an RV probably would not make any sense at that point.

Keep in mind also that the Super Bowl is nearly a full month after the college bowl games end, typically in early February. Next year's game (2013) will be in New Orleans, 2014 will be in New York/New Jersey, and 2015 is in Phoenix.

Default Still Trying!!!

Hey Michael
    Thanx for your input
    At this stage I'm guessing if things remain similar to how it is this year we could :
    Fly out of Australia on or around December 27th , fly thru LA to Vegas for some R &R .
    Pick-up a RV , Cruise back to LA for the Rose bowl.
    Then cruise to Arlington Texas for the AT & T Cotton Bowl on the 6th(is that possible in 3 days travel) then relaod and be in Louisiana on the 9th for the all important BCS championship game (again allows 2 days travel - Possible??)
    After that we just coast around hoping some NFL playoff games are in our area before heading leisurely to the big one (Superbowl) .
    Am I getting closer??

You're on the right track, but things won't be exactly the same next year.

First of all, the BCS game will be in Miami next year (I mentioned it rotates around the 4 major sites) and it will be on the 7th next year. I'm not sure where the cotton bowl will fit in, but it I'd guess it will be on the 4th since that would be a Friday. If it is, that would be just barely enough time to make the drive if you see good weather.

But once the 2013 schedules come out, you could likely put things down more concretely.

Have you researched ticket availability and pricing for the games you plan on seeing? I can tell you right now you aren't going to get into the Superbowl for less than $2000 *EACH*.

Default Tickets

Thanx GLC
    Yes we have looked at some ticket prices, and yes they ARE expensive.We have seen some packages thru the NFL and other organizations which are about 2600 - 2850 , which include entry and some lead up events in the preceding week.
    When you travel as far as we need to , to see this event , pricing has to be a minor concern and thats why we've taken alot of the shock out of it now