1. Default Washington D.C to Miami

Hi there,

We are plannining a road trip next year going from D.C to Miami.

We would like to see D.C, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans and Miami.

This will be over 14 days.

Are there any suggestions as to interesting places to visit along this route?

We are 4 adults, 2 male 2 female and like food and drink. 80)

Thank you in advance

Justin

"Interesting places" can mean one thing to one person and something totally different to someone else. But for starters - - Nashville and Memphis are both music centers, and there's a ton of stuff to see there. Also along the route is Great Smoky Mountains National Park, not all that far from the Interstate (since it sounds like you might be following I-40 for at least part of the time).

As far as food and drink is concerned, we have started to ask our hotel/motel staff for recommendations about restaurants. We've been steered in the right direction most times. It keeps one away from the chains, which start to taste the same after awhile.

Donna

Default Tons to See

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You'll be driving through one of the great areas of the country for scenery and history as well as unique lifestyles and cuisine. Starting with the big and obvious, there's Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway as you make your way down to the Great Smoky Mountains and I-40. After Nashville, you can look at taking the Natchez Trace and US-64 as a scenic and more rewarding avenue to cross Tennessee to Memphis, with a great Civil War battlefield at Shiloh on the Tennessee River. From Memphis down to New Orleans there are two options that easily beat (from a RooadTripping standpoint) just barreling down I-55, and those are 1) US-78 to Tupelo (Elvis' birthplace) and then the Natchez Trace down to Jackson and MS-27/MS-25 through some delta country to the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway into New Orleans; or 2) the Great River Road, basically US-61 aka the Blues Highway, along the Mississippi to Baton Rouge and a visit to the old State Capitol and its homages to Huey Long. Finally, on the way to Miami, consider hugging the Gulf Coast on US-98 to experience some local gumbo. As far as food goes, Donna is absolutely right. The easiest way to get the best local cuisine is to ask the locals where they eat. As a general rule, when I'm on the road and getting hungry, I start looking for a town of a few thousand people, one that's big enough to support a few competing restaurants, but not so big as to have been taken over by the chains. Those local restaurants rely on repeat business from the local citizenry rather than drawing 'one and done' diners from the Interstate, and a few pleasant inquiries while walking their often charming Main Street will quickly direct you to the best of them.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-22-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    As far as food and drink is concerned, we have started to ask our hotel/motel staff for recommendations about restaurants. We've been steered in the right direction most times. It keeps one away from the chains, which start to taste the same after awhile.
    The forums at roadfood.com can be a great resource also. They tend toward the "dive" type places, but those tend to be the interesting ones in my opinion.

--Jon