Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Francisco to Bodie California to Vegas.

This isnt a plan as yet as Im not allowed to plan until I finish my Trip report from this year. Just noticed a trip report to Bodie California.
    If I was to leave San Francisco in eary May. would it be possible to go to San Francisco-Sacramento - Lake Tahoe - Brodie -Yosemite NP anf then through Death Valley onto Las Vegas.
    Just not sure if the roads would be open or still effected by snow.We were in Yosemite in May this year and couldnt do to much as a lot of the park was still closed.We could leave it a month if that helped.Lake Tahoe could be left off and go direct to Yosemite and then up to Mono Lake and Bodie and across to Vegas.
    This is 18 months off but I like to keep looking at options..

John

Default All bets may be off for this Spring

In a normal year, I'd say the chance that Tioga Pass would be open in early May would be extremely unlikely, but we're not getting any snow to speak of this year.

would it be possible to go to San Francisco-Sacramento - Lake Tahoe - Brodie -Yosemite NP anf then through Death Valley onto Las Vegas.
    I assume you meant Bodie and not Brodie? But in any case, your geography is a little puzzling. Lake Tahoe, Bodie, Death Valley and Las Vegas are all east of the Sierra Nevada mountains, San Francisco, Sacramento and Yosemite are west, so yes, if the passes are open, you can zig-zag back and forth -- It's a great time of the year for waterfalls!
    We were in Yosemite in May this year and couldn't do to much as a lot of the park was still closed.
    What was closed that you couldn't see? I was there in both April and May -- it was pretty great!

On another topic, one of contributors and my brother is uber-photographer and some of his Bodie shots will be published soon.

Just a teaser from his fall 2011 trip:

Photo by Dan Sedenquist -- Two buildings in Bodie

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Default Not planning... just options.

Quote Originally Posted by john.waters View Post
    This is 18 months off but I like to keep looking at options...
    Hi John,

What I do is, I have a school exercise book at my computer, and everytime I read of something which may interest me, be it on these forums, or elsewhere, I make a note in my book..... a 48 page book, a State per page. Now, after a couple of years since my last trip, the book is getting pretty full. Next year that book will come with me, and wherever I find myself, all I need to do is look up the book to see what it was that I have read about, and which interested me wherever I am.

Of course, out on the road a lot more will be added. And that which I do not get to on the next trip, will just have to wait for another trip.

Lifey

Hi Lifey & Mark.. Im getting a bit ahead of me with this plan. Definetly no complaintes with Yosemite.Highlight of our trip.We only booked 2 nights and one was in the Valley floor and the second on the way out at Hodgdon meadow.I think thats how you spell it. It rained quiet heavy and some snow(which was great).Didnt give ourselves enough time.I think from memory we couldnt get to Glacier Point or Mirror Lake but the heavy rain was the biggest deterent.

Sory I did put Bodie in the thread name but wrong elsewhere. we found we were a bit early in a few places on our trip but really liked it as it wasnt very busy.Crater lake rim drive wasnt open but the snow was magic.We want to visit Glacier Nation Park as well so dont want to be early.
    The idea I have was to fly into SFC in Mid May, spend a few days then pick up Escape Camper and head to Sacramento for a day or so.Then toYosemite for a few days Lake Tahoe and Bodie,.Then drive to Death Valley and onto Las Vegas.

From Las Vegas we want to do a anti clockwise lap of the USA and slip into Canada around Niagra Falls and back into the US somewhere that we can get to South Dakota and Badlands then Yellowstone again as it we couldnt get to a few places ans part of the PArk was still closed.A bit more of Grand Tetons and up to Glacier NP, around to Seattle and Olympic NP and back to Crater Lake so we can go around the Rim Drive.None of this is concrete and still should be in my mind and not on here yet. We will have about 10 -12 weeks depending on cost of camper hire. Have plenty of time to dream.

Ill have to check out what a uber photogrpaher is.?????

John
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-22-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: put in some line breaks for readiblity ease

Default Top of his game.

Hi John.

Ill have to check out what a uber photogrpaher is.?????
    It's Urban jargon 'innit' !

It's original meaning is either 'Above' or 'Over' taken from the German language. 'Ubercool' would translate to 'Very good' or 'Great' for example. So Uber photographer would translate into, 'Top' [great] photographer. [Above other Photographers]

Looking at Dan's pictures, I tend to agree with Mark, UBER !!

As for your trip, which sounds like an other great adventure in the making !!

It's always a fine balancing act when trying to miss the crowds and still see be able to see popular places that are affected by the weather off-season, especially on a lenghty visit like yourselves. You might be better off heading to Death valley and Vegas at the start of the trip and then head from Crater Lake to Tahoe, Bodie and then back over the Sierra's on the Tioga pass. Yep , it will be getting real busy by then, but everything should be open to visitation.

Thanks Dave,We have a company in Australia called Uber Photography.Thoght t might have been something to do with that. I think I will leave the planning at this stage and get back to finishing the trip report on our last trip.When the time comes Ill get a plan together and ask again.
    Thanks John

Default Looking forward to yours.

Hey John.

Forgot to mention, I took a sneak preview of your own photography work on Facebook from your other post.

All I can say is, Ubercool !!! ;-)

Dave.

Thanks Dave, getting there slowly, the web site will be finished soon.. Its so easy to get a good photo in the USA.Its so beautful and over every hill is a postcard shot.I cant wait until 2013 for the big lap.Thats if I can afford camper hire for 3 months.Bodie is on the list.
    John

Default Don't want to dampen your firework............

but a section of the road into Bodie is unpaved and usually breaches your rental contract agreement, so be sure to check that out or else you will be responsible for any damage and/or tow fees if the worse were to happen.

Dave.

Default I can't help myself....

Photo: Don Casey

Photo: Don Casey

Note that the road to Bodie may be closed due to snow, even when other roads are open.

Also note that the second photo above is taken from INSIDE the wood building (the park visitor center) in Dan Sedenquist's photo above. (I think)

Uh, not it isn't... windows over the door don't match.