Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New York to Sacramento with 6 kids

I would love to hear advice on what route to take!! We are flying to New York and buying a car there.. We love the outdoors and saw the route up vermont to montreal and down in wisconsin, montana North Dakota, Idaho.....washington..We are doing the trip at the end of January. Anyone else done this route or recomend a better one??
    Thanks

Default More Importantly

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Even more important than our advice is the advice of your own crew of six 'experts'. At this point, and presuming you have sufficient time for the general route you outlined in your post, the entire country is open to you. And there's no way that we can determine what the best route is for you. So I would, as a first step, get a good-sized wall map of the US (and Canada) and let the kids start marking places they'd like to visit. I would have just a few caveats. While I wouldn't worry about weather - you'll probably have to sit out a day or two no matter which way you go - there are downsides to the northern route you described in winter. Some of the major parks, such as Glacier and Yellowstone, are essentially closed at that time of year. There will be plenty of natural, outdoor beauty to see no matter which route you choose, so your major criterion at this point is to make your crew happy. Once you have an idea of what they want, we can be of considerably more use than just pointing out the route that we would use.

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not sure what "the route" you are referring to here is, as there are hundreds of possible routes that go through those states alone. Certainly, if thats a way you want to go, there's nothing wrong with it.

However, the bigger question would be how much time do you have available. The route you've described would add several hundred miles and several extra days to your trip. Also keep in mind that you'll certainly be dealing with some weather when traveling in January. There's no magic to avoid it, but by going up through Canada, you'll be traveling on some much more remote roads that won't get the same kind of attention that an Interstate will.

What struck me from the original post was "flying to New York and buying a car there". Are you a resident of the US, or coming in on a Visa? A non-resident doesn't have trouble buying a car, but registering and insuring it could be a problem.

Donna

5. Default

Hi!! yes we are flying in from
    Sweden.. but I am an american and my husband is Swedish. So insurance shouldnt be a problem for me to get. I dont even know were to begin!!! Wehave always wanted to drive across country and now we have tve time
    to do it!!! Canada isnt so important I think just cool to say weve been in Canada! Vermont I do want to see!! And my husband loves the outdoors so he would love to see wildlife!! We also are thinking about stopping in little sweden minnesota!!but other than that were up to all advice ! The kids are you g and just exited to be able to do this!!! I looked at driving route 66 but that just seemed boring to me!! Are there any good websites for hotels or hostels that we cann look at?? thanks!!

With 6 kids in tow, staying in a hostel probably isn't for you ... even if they were to allow you to do it. It would just be plain more expensive! (We have a few members here with more hostel experience than me, and that's what they've told me.)

Hotels, motels, etc -- well, there's a hotel finder right here on this website. Other ways to find motels (other than the usual American billboard) is at roomsaver.com. They can get you coupon deals. In many hotels, you can request adjoining rooms, or perhaps they will have suites available.

Route 66 is no longer a commissioned highway. You can still find portions of it in CA, AZ, and NM, usually labeled "Busn. Route 40" or "Olde US 66." There are also a few old landmarks from the highway here and there. The route itself has been upgraded to Interstate highways - - I-55, I-44 and I-40.

Donna

Donna

Default Hostels

Quote Originally Posted by mammaof6 View Post
    Are there any good websites for hotels or hostels that we can look at??
    With your family there should be no reason why you would not consider staying at hostels, especially at the time you are travelling. I recall well staying at a hostel with a family who have seven sons, and took up two family rooms. And well behaved they were, too.

Not all hostels have family facilities, but most have eight bed dorms, or similar, so I would make a point of contacting each hostel beforehand. Be sure you actually speak to someone at the hostel, and not to a central booking agency. This is probably the best place to start; the most comprehensive listing of hostels worldwide. Most hostels have a phone number, url or email address listed. I would concentrate on them.

When you get to Sacramento, be sure to stay at the HI hostel. It is a great experience in itself, centrally located and extremely well run.... and has secure parking.

Hi!! yes we are flying in from Sweden.. but I am an american and my husband is Swedish. So insurance shouldnt be a problem for me to get. I dont even know were to begin!!!
    Being an American citizen is a good start, but you may like to check up if you need residency status. Many States require you to proof residency, and I believe NY is one of them. How long is this trip? and will buying a vehicle be a good economic decision? Everything considered, you may find that renting will be a better decision. Remember, you will be responsible for all your own upkeep and repair. You may like to check out this thread, before you make your final decision.

Have a great trip.

Lifey

8. Default

Hi everyone!! yes I am an American and I plan on working in California!!! Thats why buying a car is a good plan!! Just curious we are not sure how long our trip is going to take...but we are looking at driving New York to detroit and eventually up to minnesota we were interested in little Sweden. Then maybe finding a route to Salt lake city... is it possible to not book hotels before hand or is that dumb??

Default With a party of eight.....

Normally I would suggest you just wing it in January. But with a party of eight, that may not be the best idea. However, that should not mean that you need to book everything before leaving home. I would do all my enquiries as to what facilities are available at which hostels before leaving home. Then make sure you have all the contact details, etc. with you, so that you can book a day or two ahead, when you know where you will be, just to be on the safe side. Similarly with hotels. It would be wise to call at least a couple of days ahead, just to make sure.

I should also mention that the really good hostels in places like NYC, DC and Chicago, hostels such as the HI, need booking well ahead. These fill up quickly at most times of the year.

Good luck with finding work in CA. From what I hear you will be among the hoardes, looking for a job. Some hostels have work available for travellers who are going to be staying for a while. USA Hostels are among those. And they are very well run and equipped hostels. But I am not sure if they have family facilities.

Lifey

Default the fine print

Hi everyone!! yes I am an American and I plan on working in California!!! Thats why buying a car is a good plan!!
    Being an American will make it possible for you to buy a car, but the details of your situation will make it trickier than a typical car buying experience. I'm guessing that you still have your California Drivers License from before you moved overseas? Have you investigated what it will take to get a temporary permit to legally drive the car across the country, until you can get it registered in California? None of these things are impossible to overcome, but it will require significant extra work, especially because you are not currently residing in the US.

Also remember that because you plan to move to California, you need to make sure the car you purchase was built to California Emmissions standards (which are stricter than Federal Law) and will be able to pass a smog test or you will be facing major repair bills when you arrive at your new home.

Just curious we are not sure how long our trip is going to take...
    That's largely up to you. I'd say you'd need at least 10 days when you factor the large size of your family and the bit of zig zagging you are thinking about, but beyond that you could take as much time as you have available.
    is it possible to not book hotels before hand or is that dumb??
    Unless you have some special requests because of your large group, like you want adjoining rooms, 2 room suites, etc, then you should be able to find 2 rooms in a motel without really any problems.

Hostels, if you are still thinking that route, would qualify as an area where I would certainly call ahead, however, I would question how cost effective they will be. Hostels typically charge per person, so they will likely be more expensive than getting 2 motel rooms.