Default Lincoln Highway-Middle one third

On November first Jan (my wife) and started the middle part of the Lincoln Highway-from Cheyenne Wyoming to Joliet Illinois.

We were definitely lucky. The day before we got to Cheyenne, the city had about a foot of snow but the roads were clear. We had chosen to drive as much of the original road as possible. This meant that much of the route through Nebraska and Iowa was dirt roads, which was fine with us. I should note that the route is only so-so marked in Nebraska and very well marked in Iowa. In Illinois you are back on pavement all the way and well marked.

I have attached a few pictures of the route to give an idea of what it is like.

The first one shows a closed service station on the Wyoming/Nebraska state line. Notice the snow!

The second one shows a major higlight of the journey-The switching yard at North Platte Nebraska. So many rail cars. The best place to view the scene is from atop the observation tower. Be forewarned-a guide is provided and he will talk non-stop about the history and everything that is going on. While he means well, he is very hard to get away from.

Third one is a stretch of the dirt road with a classic bridge across a creek.

Fourth one is the National Headquarters of the Lincoln Highway Association. Notice the the building was constructed in 1860 by a relative of ole Abe. Again the clerk, an elderly lady will talk your ear off about the history of the Highway as well as the building.

The last picture shows the sign of a diner along the way to give an indication of the cuisine that can be found out on the road.

After the National Headquarters, it is paved roads all the way. In fact much of Illinois has heavy traffic.

This section is primarily farm land. It is a most interesting stretch that all Americans need to see once and it ends with the built up life that that America has migrated to.

When all has been said and done, the Lincoln Highway gives a much more honest impression of what this great nation is like--from the glitz and glamour of Times Square through the battle grounds of the Civil War onto the bread basket of the country and into the only desert of the mining region and ending with the free-spirit of San Francisco. While there is nostalgia throughout, one can see what this country is made of and where it is heading.

I would recommend it over Route 66 for a true glimpse of America
    Attached Images Attached Images

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default This has been my dream for a long time!

I love this report. I've wanted to drive the unpaved roads of the nation's first transcontinental highway since I first learned about them. One day, I'll drive the entire route!

I think I'd pass on the Creamed Possum though!

Southern California

For about six years, years and years ago, I lived near the corner of US 30 (Lincoln Highway) and US 54. I've traveled the length of Illinois' Lincoln Highway, but at the time I couldn't appreciate its history. Maybe someday we'll travel it!

Love the report and the pictures! Where is the dirt road and bridge located (what state)? I live near Lincoln Highway, but never appreciated its history either. Time for another road trip, I guess! Thanks for posting.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Going to THE source

As I wrote in that review (link above) says...Much of the Lincoln Highway has been incorporated into modern highway routes and obliterated, but there are still sections that are in nearly the same condition as they were in the early 1920s. In Iowa, nearly 85% of the route has been bypassed by modern highways and can still be driven. Surprisingly, much of the surviving route throughout the country is still dirt. Also surprising is that quite a few of the roadside motels and attractions that were popular in the 1920s are still open and serving customers today.

But I think those photos were from Kansas...

Thanks! Very interesting beautiful old bridge.

Default The road less traveled...........

Enjoyed reading the account of the trip.

Taking the Lincoln Highway reminds me of the poem by Robert Frost..........
    “I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.”

You have two choices but take the less travelled road and it makes all the difference. Makes good sense to me.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default More from Scottishbob

Quote Originally Posted by scotishbob View Post
    I am delighted that you liked the Lincoln Highway Report.

So far as the pictures so, three of them are self-explanatory and are definitely on the LH. The bridge is on 210th Avenue (but still a dirt road through farming country) north of Beaver, Iowa-between Grand Junction and Ogdon-near the intersection with US 169.

As an added comment, the Marsh Rainbow Design is very common, going back to the early 1910s. This one may be the oldest one having been built about 1915 or so.

The railroad pictures were taken at the switching yard at North Platte, Nebraska. This yard is the largest in the United States. There is an observation tower that makes the viewing very good.

The National Lincoln Highway Association picture was taken at the headquarters in Franklin Grove, Illionis.

The "possum" picture was taken at a general mercantile store in Clinton, Iowa-Smith Brothers General Store...just across the river from Futon, Illionis.

Just general comments. We try to stay at the old motels and eat at the family diners along the route. Along the Lincoln Highway, this is not as easy as on old route 66. It seems that the LH has not tried to make the highway a tourist trip near to the extent that 66 has.

My wife's cousin works for the National Park Service who did a study of the LH and determined that it could not be included in the park system for various reasons but their report makes the best guide available. This report is very hard to obtain (I have a copy and am willing to share). The guide book, by Brian Butko is the one I used, is good but not nearly enough detail of the older versions of the highway in Nebraska. We got "lost" a few times going through the Gottenburg stairsteps.

If I can be of more assistance, just let me know.

I do have one question...Would you like to see an album of the entire highway placed on this website?
    This post was sent to me by PM, but I think it really needs to be posted here.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by scotishbob View Post
    I do have one question...Would you like to see an album of the entire highway placed on this website?
    Not sure about anyone else, but I would like it. Been following all of it, and making notes. Am bound to be in the area of some of it, at some time next year.