1. Default Travel from NJ to SoCal

I am traveling from Sicklerville, NJ to Orange County CA tomorrow and would like to know the best and fastest route. Also, If I decide to take the I70, what is the fastest way to get to the I70. Google Maps makes it look like a major undertaking just getting to that one interstate.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not quite sure why you think getting to I-70 would be difficult, but its about as straightforward as it gets. You'll take the AC Expressway to Philly, get on I-76/PA Turnpike head west and you'll literally run right into I-70. I'm guessing this is a case where simply looking at a map (and having a good paper map/atlas is essential for a roadtrip) would actually be easier and less confusing than trying to follow "step by step" directions.

As far as fastest, because of the time of year, what I would recommend is taking i-70 to St. Louis, and then spend some time looking at weather forecasts. You've got 2 choices that are about the same in terms of distance/time: Continue on I-70 through KC, Denver, and onto I-15/Las Vegas, or cut south on I-44 to I-40 via OK City, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, etc. Both can and do see winter weather, so let the forecast during your specific trip decide which is the best choice.

In any case, this is a trip where you'll need 5 full days on the road, in good conditions.
    Rough stopping points via I-44 would be Dayton OH, Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, Winslow/Flagstaff AZ. Via I-70 you'd look at Dayton, Kansas City, Limon/Denver, Salinas/Richfield UT.

You'll take the AC Expressway to Philly, get on I-76/PA Turnpike
    It's not quite that simple - the traffic getting into Philly on the Walt Whitman Bridge and in Philly on I-76 (Schuylkill Parking Lot - err - I mean Expressway) can be absolutely awful, especially in morning rush hour, which will probably be when you will be going. There are 2 better ways to look at:

1. Take the AC Expressway to I-295, go south to US-130 to US-322, take the Commodore Barry bridge across the Delaware River. Jog north to I-476 (the Blue Route) to I-76 to the PA Turnpike.

Optional: Take US-322 all the way in from Williamstown. However, this will take you through the middle of Glassboro and Mullica Hill.

2. Take either way previously noted to I-295, then go south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Take I-95 to Baltimore, then I-695 around the north side of the city. Take I-70 west.

You can either just stay on I-70, or take I-68 west to I-79 north and rejoin I-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Via I-70 you'd look at Dayton, Kansas City, Limon/Denver, Salinas/Richfield UT.
    I do NOT recommend staying at Limon. Either go all the way into Denver, or cut it short at Burlington, CO. The hotel costs are less in Denver and Burlington (look at the Chaparral Inn there, and I'm pretty sure it's open year-round).

Ditto for the Salina/Richfield choice. Take Richfield...MORE choice in hotels and they're cheaper. The Quality Inn at Richfield has an indoor hot tub, too.

Donna

I'm really not quite sure of the objection to staying in Limon, and in fact, I can say that I've stayed there myself on a trip going west to east.

Its not a big town by any means, but its got at least 5-6 motels, including a couple of chains, both mid-price and budget level, as well as a few mom and pops.

In fact, just doing a quick search, Limon appears to have just as many, if not a couple more motel options than Burlington, and just doing a quick search on the RTA Reservations section, Limon's motel prices are very typical for what you'd expect (ranging from about $40 to 90), and are actually a bit less than Burlington as well.

Denver is 90 miles beyond Limon, so if you do push past Limon you will have quite a long drive to the next choices for lodging. I'd also factor what time you like to get up in the morning too, as if you like to get out on the road at 7-8am, and you're staying on the east side of Denver, you'd be fighting traffic for the first hour of your drive, while if you stayed in Limon, it would be past peak traffic by the time you get to Denver.

Richfield does have more motels than Salina, but again, I didn't see abnormally high prices in Salina (I've also stayed in one of these two cities, but I don't remember which). In this case, you're only looking at a 20 mile gap, so its pretty easy to move on down the road.

Limon has more choices than Burlington. However, if you're an early-riser-early-on-the-road, you're driving right into Denver's rush hour the next morning. Also, Limon's hotels appear to run $20 more per night (even the coupon deals) than Burlington's mom-and-pop Chaparral Inn. None particularly got a great review on any of the hotel review sites, either, in Limon...the $40 options all had "bed bug" complaints. That's why we always stay in Burlington.

Donna