Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip from Canada to Miami in summer

Hi all,

Glad to be finding some help at last! I am from Ireland and so I am looking for any bit of advice possible! My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip in the summer for three weeks. I'm not sure how much we can fit into that time but we are hoping to do as much as possible but not rush ourselves either! So we planned to go originally from New York down to Miami but now we heard maybe we could fit in Toronto? We have been to New York so we wouldn't spend too long there. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also we would like to hire a camper van but they are working out as $1700 for three weeks with unlimited mileage. Any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can make the trip from NY to Miami in just a couple of days, so with 3 weeks you've got plenty of time for detours. You could certainly go to Toronto or just about anywhere else in the eastern half of the US/Canada.

But otherwise, I'm not really sure what you are looking for. What things do you want "suggestions" about? If you're looking for places to see, then we need a better idea of what the major priorities are for your trip, and what you are interested in. If you are in need of suggestions for budgeting, lodging options, or any of the many other aspects of a roadtrip, we can likely hep there too, but we need a little more help from you to know what you want.

3. Default Road trip east coast

Thanks so much for replying so fast! Basically I would love to stop off at the following: Montreal, Toronto, Boston, NYC, Seattle, San Diego, Philly, Washington and Miami. It seems an awful lot for just 3 weeks. Do you think I would need to shorten this down? Or only get to stop off for one day in each place?

I have only been to NYC so I don't know what attractions there are down the east coast. Can you suggest areas to stop off and places to see?

Also, we would prefer to get a camper van. We have no set budget as of yet but I researched one place for camper vans and it was coming out at $1,700 which I thought was very expensive for 3 weeks. Is this the normal rate? And do you think taking a car and staying in hostels/hotels would be cheaper?

Default two of these things are not like the others

Thanks so much for replying so fast! Basically I would love to stop off at the following: Montreal, Toronto, Boston, NYC, Seattle, San Diego, Philly, Washington and Miami. It seems an awful lot for just 3 weeks. Do you think I would need to shorten this down? Or only get to stop off for one day in each place?
    Um, Did you mean to include Seattle and San Diego in your list? They are on the other side of the continent from all of your other stops. I suppose you could do all of those in 3 weeks, but it would be very rushed, and a very different trip than spending 3 weeks on the east coast. If that is your plan, you would also want to rework it, as NY and Miami would not work well as starting/ending points.
    Also, we would prefer to get a camper van. We have no set budget as of yet but I researched one place for camper vans and it was coming out at $1,700 which I thought was very expensive for 3 weeks. Is this the normal rate? And do you think taking a car and staying in hostels/hotels would be cheaper?
    European-style camper vans are really pretty rare in the US, especially if you are looking to rent. That's going to drive the price up if you did find one. Regular RVs are far more common.

However, because your trip is so heavily focused on cities, I don't think an RV would be a wise choice anyway. Going by car/hotels is nearly always cheaper, and with an urban focused trip it will be much easier to get around, find parking, etc.

5. Default Road trip east coast

Ok great well I'm going to scrap Seattle and San Diego so... makes more sense to stay on the east coast.

Ok so a car is probably more practical for the stops we are planning. Do you know how much the car would cost to rent for 3 weeks? Also, are there any websites for accommodation? Finally, would you recommend any places in particular to stop down the east coast?

Default look up

For Car Rental and Hotels, simply look up to the Reservations Tab and you can compare prices and look at options right on RTA.

Prices for car rental are so dependent on when and where that giving an "average" price is really difficult, especially with a one way rental, so you're best off simply seeing what you find there.

It is generally not possible or quite expensive to rent a vehicle in Canada and drop it off in the US. If you do want to go to Canada, I'd fly into a US city and rent the vehicle - with authorization to take it into Canada.

8. Default

Well I was going to start in Canada and work my way down to Miami. Maybe I could fly into Canada and then get an internal flight to Us, are internal flights expensive? Would really like to see Canada too.

Default rethink that

A trip from Canada to the US would be an international flight, not an internal/domestic flight, and thus it will likely be quite expensive plus will involve extra time for customs etc. The US and Canada are close, but they don't have a EU style open border relationship.

But that certainly doesn't mean you can't visit Canada. In fact, I thought your original plan was to start in NY, which would still be quite possible. You could easily still do a loop up to Boston, Montreal, Toronto, and then head south from Niagara Falls to Washington and down the coast (or mountains) to Florida.

Just to be clear, you can often rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada, as long as you make sure that's included in your contract.

Its just the one way issue that's a potential problems, where you can't rent in one country and drop off in another. That's almost never allowed, and in the rare cases where it is ok, there is typically a large extra fee.