Thread: NYC to SFO

1. Default NYC to SFO

What is the best route for scenery, famous spots to go from NYC to SFO the first week of December? Thinking to drive from NYC to Chicago straight and then from Chicago to Colorado. Wanting to see Colorado and Utah, any tips on key spots in Colorado and Utah?

Anything good between Chicago to Colorado? Please advise.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, NY to Chicago is an 800 mile drive and really is way too far to drive "straight" in a single day. Similarly, you're looking at 1000 miles from Chicago to Denver, which is a full 2 days on the road, so I highly suspect that you are vastly overestimating how much you can do in a day.

Colorado is not on the fastest/most direct route, but what you could do is take I-70 across Colorado and Utah and then take US-50 (aka the lonliest road) across Nevada. As far as "key spots," there are thousands of possibilities, not just in CO and UT, but along every portion of your trip. The question is narrowing them down based on what you are interested in, and that is something you haven't told us.

3. Default

we would like to see the more scenic spots and any must have to hits on the way from coast to coast. what would you recommend in going from Chicago to Colorado to stop and see?

Let's back up just a bit - how many days do you have to make this trip? Is your vehicle well equipped for possibly having to drive in snow and ice?

5. Default

I have 7-8 days on this trip. But would like to spend more time in Colorado and Utah. Have a 4 wheel drive sedan.

If that's all the time you have and you want to see Colorado and Utah, don't stop in Chicago.

It will take you 3 very full days to get to Denver, with overnights around Toledo and Omaha. That's assuming you take I-80 all the way. If you take the PA Turnpike and I-70, overnights would be around Columbus and KC. I'd make this somewhat of a "speed run" because compared to Colorado and points west, there really isn't that much to see.

You could look at taking I-70 through CO (one of the most scenic Interstates in the country) into Utah, then head to Moab (on UT-128) to see Arches and Canyonlands. Head back to I-70 on US-191, take that west to UT-24, then take that and UT-12 to Bryce Canyon, then US-89 down to Zion. If you have time, then you could head over to Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon, otherwise head through Las Vegas and take a trip through Death Valley on your way to SFO.

7. Default

Thank you for the suggestion. Are most of these parks open next week? That's when we are planning on going.

Most National parks are open year round, but as with all winter travel you will need to check conditions as you go. The North rim of the Grand canyon is closed for the season, but the South rim should be open. There is currently a winter weather advisory in place there, of which said weather is causing some disruption.

sandy, it sounds like you need to do a lot of research if you plan on going next week!

i suggest that you start by creating a google map with all your stops on it, so you can get a feel for how long the driving will take.

then, go read the websites of each national park you plan to visit, so you know what the conditions there are.